Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

The right knife

Old 11-03-2003, 07:35 PM

Default RE: The right knife

stay away from knives of alaska. they break for what seems no reason. bucks and gerbers are the best. gerber holds the edge better
Old 11-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

I own Puma, Gerber, and Buck 2 1/2" - 3 1/2" folding knives and all work well. The Gerber is my favorite. Any will due but I have to remember to bring one of them with me. They don' t work well sitting at the house.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:44 PM

i have to say Buck i have two of them, there sweet--

remember to bring one of them with me. They don' t work well sitting at the house.

--srry hit wrong keys--
Old 11-11-2003, 11:42 AM

I suggest you do a bit of research on the steels used in knives. All will rust, but some faster than others. I would also consider the ease with which thsy can be sharpened in the field. You might take a look at Cold Steel' s Master Hunter in the Carbon V steel. This knife can be had with or without a gut hook. The grip is made of Kraton - a rubber like material that resists slipping and does not add to your misery on cold days. Cold Steel knives come hair popping sharp right out of the box and the edge geometry makes them easy to sharpen. I use Spyderco' s Sharpmaker to sharpen all my knives.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Spike

I have used quite a few knives for skinning deer. If you want something that holds and edge the best, go to a pawn shop or gun and knife show and get a used Buck. I am talking about one that is 20 years old. They hold a good edge. Of the newer knives I have used, either a Puma or Browning is my favorite.

I have gotten away from knives for skinning though. I currently use a quick change utility knife. When skinning I only use the tip anyway and the utility knife is always sharp.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

I have had the same SOG Knife for 3 years now, seems to be
the best knife I have ever owned.

Old 11-15-2003, 02:07 PM

Wow,

That' s like asking...what' s your favorite? Blonde, Brunnette, or Redhead? Bound to get alot of different responses!

I' ve used quite a few different knives that I would consider satisfactory. And a few that I would consider really good. For deer you will probably find that the knife that works best for dressing and or skinning the deer...are not the same ones that will work best for butchering. (If butchering is on your agenda.) For a few good examples of good butchering knives...peer into your local neighborhood butcher shop, or two, if you can. They will be using good examples of butchering knives. And depending on what cutting they are doing, probably more than one!)

For dressing and skinning deer, bigger is definitely NOT better. A blade with a lenght of 2 1/2" to 4" will be more than enough. Gut hooks work well especially until you gain some experience. And usually a blade with a " drop point" style is normally easier to keep track of inside the animal when you can' t see it. Trust me, if you don' t keep track of it when you are skinning, you will find it with your other fingers!

As a rule of thumb. The blades that hold their edge the best, are also the hardest ones to resharpen when they do go dull. Conversely, the ones that are easiest to put an edge on, will dull the fastest. Ideally try to strike a balance. But deer aren' t terribly big and nearly any fixed or lock blade knife will hold an edge long enough to dress and skin a deer. Depending on where and how you hunt, you may not even skin the deer in the field. In Pennsylvania for instance most hunters dress their deer in the woods, drag them to camp, and skin them either at camp or home. (Most just take them to processors.) So if you just need to dress in the field and skin at camp or home, edge holding characteristics become even less important.

I would suggest looking at an appropriate blade sized (once again 2 1/2" to maybe 4" in length) knife in either a fixed or locking folder style. If you stick to any of the " brand name" knives you will be less likely to make a mistake. Find one that feels good in your hand, fits you well, and will not be slippery when wet. And if you are not certain the proper way to sharpen a knife...don' t. Pay a shop to either show you...or do it for you. (Unless you are lucky enough to know someone that knows how.) Probably many good knives have been close to ruined by improper sharpening.

Best wishes and good luck with your decision!
Old 12-09-2003, 10:08 PM

SOG SEAL Pup www.cabelas.com 54 dollars, worth every cent. Trust me.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

I use a Cutco knife with a serrated blade. I have had this knife for 10 years and have skinned a lot of deer with it and even used the serrated edge to saw through some and it is still sharp enough to take the hair off my arm. It has never been sharpened in all these years. Cutco has been around for a long time and the knife is guaranteed for life. When it does need sharpening all I have to do is send it to them and they will sharpen or replace it all for the cost of return postage. It truly is the best deer knife I have ever owned and I used to be a meat cutter for a living so I know my knives pretty well. Here is the link:

Cutco
Old 12-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: The right knife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.