Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Best Large Cooler for the Money? >

Best Large Cooler for the Money?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best Large Cooler for the Money?

Old 03-31-2016, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
It was probably a chest freezer that was upright.
I am thinking the same thing but always heard never to run a fridge/freezer after moving it, something about the gasses in the compressor causing it to fail early or something. Then again, got guys in little pickups driving around selling steaks and stuff out of one in the summer months.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Salty, it's pretty much only if the compressor has been tipped over enough for the coolant to get up into the head of the compressor. Other than that, movement of a compressor wouldn't harm it. If you run it before the coolant has settled back down into the compression chamber after being tilted you will blow the valve.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Salty, it's pretty much only if the compressor has been tipped over enough for the coolant to get up into the head of the compressor. Other than that, movement of a compressor wouldn't harm it. If you run it before the coolant has settled back down into the compression chamber after being tilted you will blow the valve.
thats good to know, at least shed more light on something I know very little about.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Just bought a fridge/ freezer for the garage and it said right in the directions to make sure it stands upright for a while B-4 plugging it in to allow the coolant to settle back just in case it was shipped on its side.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, the freezer my buddy used was a chest type not an upright, he did not have to lay it down. You can get one of the smaller ones for $200 new at Wally World. If you had an old one, even an upright laid down on it's back, that did not work it still will keep a lot of meat cold if you put ice, or maybe dry ice in it. I think a strap around it would be a good idea to make sure that the lid stayed closed and a chain and lock to keep folks out of it while you are sleeping at the motel. I have never shot or even seen a moose but I understand that they would produce a lot of meat so I thought the freezer idea was great. Take some longer extension cords if you decide to go this route.

Last edited by Jenks; 04-01-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

It would be counter productive to lay an upright freezer on its back to use as cooler. All the weight from a useless freezer would outweigh just having a place to put meat, not to mention taking up most of the bed of a p/u truck when there are plenty of coolers that will do the job and have very little weight.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly I liked the deep freezer idea, I just heard of warnings and not being entirely informed thought this was a good time to ask some questions. I also looked a little more into the practicality of it, as was mentioned a chest freezer at Walmart can run you $200 for a 7.1 cu ft freezer. Thats essentially 200 qts of space for a freezer with dimensions (37.01 x 21.65 x 33.27 IN) that can fit snuggly right behind the cab of a truck and still leave room in the bed for the rest of the gear or more coolers. Ideas are ideas.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

They will work if you have the time to get everything frozen solid before you hit the road and have the time to stop periodically and plug it in for a while. A small gasoline generator could also help if you don't plan to stop.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Igloo or Coleman Extreme would work just fine! I could buy a lots of ice and replace many coolers for the price of a Yeti or a knockoff!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Hey Guys,

I have an old 150qt Igloo that is about 15 years old. The snaps on it have seen better days, but it has served me well since I paid $50 at Costco. Have packed a lot of deer, elk, and caribou in that cooler. In the near future I plan on going on a moose hunt and will need several coolers to bring back meat if I am successful.

So from experience, what do you think is the best large cooler around for the money? I would like to stay with a size close to the 150qt size. There are many out there these days from Yeti and Grizzly to Igloo, Coleman, and many more. Don't like the Yeti price tag, but am open to hear what works good these days. Will be traveling about 3 days.

Thanks for your opinions . . . Rob
I bought a couple chest freezers on craigs list. They go in the trailer with several 2.5 gallon frozen water jugs. Any time I'm near electricity I plug them in. If you have a generator that you take with you this would be a good choice. If you lived by me I would loan them to you. Good luck on your hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.