Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Portable Buddy Heater

Old 06-19-2015, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Portable Buddy Heater

Does anyone have experience with one of these? Do they have any bad habits? I just bought one to daytime heat a 20 ft. camper and to possibly use in a deer blind. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife and I use these in our blinds. It doesn't get a full day on a bottle, but it's worth it on really cold days. The biggest advantage is that we can walk in a long ways - and dress appropriate for that - and then not need to pile on clothes, or get cold later on when we sit still. The click starter isn't terribly loud, but it sure ain't quiet. Ours was problem free for about 3yrs, then the flame sensor kinda fouled, so it wouldn't stay lit - tore the coverings off and ran steel wool around the sensor tip and it was fine again, but finding that out in the blind that day wasn't very fun.

So whether you're buying a bottle of gas or a bunch of hand, boot, and body warmers, there's a cost to not dressing warmly enough.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:03 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I use one for ice fishing, duck hunting, and in my deer blind.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been very cold sensitive. Heck I'm sweatin bullets if it's above 65. Or that's how it's always been. But the older I get, the colder I get! Might just have to try one of them gadgets like Mercy put up there this year if I can actually get to a blind. Does it use one of them Coleman camp bottle's Mercy?
Old 06-20-2015, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Don't know about the buddy heater in a deer blind, even the small one I would think would have you naked in no time set on the lowest setting. Should work well in a 20 ft (20sqft) to take the chill out.

I use one of these in one deer blind, made a stand for it and hook up a 20 pound tank. Great for fixing a meal in the blind too.

http://www.coleman.com/product/perfe...0#.VYVFgcLbIhk

I use one like this in another, carry in extra fuel in water bottles.

http://www.coleman.com/product/sport...5#.VYVHKMLbIhk

Al
Old 06-20-2015, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Portable Buddy is the one that puts out either 4,000 or 9,000 btu. In a blind it would only be used to warm up with, then turned off. My son has one of the Little Buddy jobs like Mercy has. It works well but is too small to heat the camper during cold weather. I have a weakness for the dual fuel Coleman cooking stoves but do not have one. My old Coleman is the white gas only model that they have made for so many years. Thanks for the replys.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the small one shown in the post of NM448 and have it rigged it up on top of an inverted milk crate so I can attach a long hose and run it all night off of a 20# propane bottle that sits outside my 19' trailer. When it starts getting real cold out I then use my Big Buddy hooked up to a 20# or 30# bottle. Very seldom do I have to run it at more than the middle of the three settings so that only one of the two burner pads is on. With both turned out at the high setting it will run you out of the trailer in less than 5 minutes. Very seldom do I even run my built in trailer furnace since the motor is noisy during the quiet nights out in Wyoming. It's handy to take the chill off if we come in during the day though and the portable ones can be kept out of the way and only used at night. I always have the roof vent open a few inches along with the window where the hose goes out to the tank and always use a good CO monitor as an extra precaution.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-20-2015 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-20-2015, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, Topgun. The "Big Buddy" on the middle setting is the same as mine on high. If that does well on yours in WY then mine in MO should do the job.

Wyoming--my great grandfather's brother headed to the gold fields in '49. He got as far as Goshen Co in SE WY when the cholera got him. His grave is lost, somewhere along the trail. I need to go out there one day just to see the area. Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use one similar to the one Nomercy448 posted but only on the coldest of days .... or when my grandson sits with me on a "cold" day ... say below 35F or so. Down my way I consider cold to be below 15F, and of course the humidity and wind play a big role. In a well built box blind a single burner is enough. Now you guys up north that have to endure 0F or colder, I have no clue. If it gets that cold where I hunt in Al. here, I'll probably move to Florida.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
I use one similar to the one Nomercy448 posted but only on the coldest of days .... or when my grandson sits with me on a "cold" day ... say below 35F or so. Down my way I consider cold to be below 15F, and of course the humidity and wind play a big role. In a well built box blind a single burner is enough. Now you guys up north that have to endure 0F or colder, I have no clue. If it gets that cold where I hunt in Al. here, I'll probably move to Florida.
LOL, 35 is when I put on a jacket 15 I'm getting a little chilly. 5 I break out the Bibs and big coat. Under that I start adding some layers. Even being Southern Born and raised, I have always HATED the heat. Guess that's why when I was a kid I lived in the lake in the summer. One of those little doohickys would probably be just the ticket for me in a blind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.