Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Boots

Old 11-15-2014, 04:24 AM
Spike

Default Boots

Almost everyone has that pair of boots they will love until their dying day. I haven't found mine yet. I'm kind of picky. Okay, I'm extremely picky.

I need a boot that is waterproof yet breathable. It must not have a camo pattern on it; solid brown or black would be best. It must be designed for mild to cool climates; I don't hunt in snow because it almost never snows here, and the temperature rarely stays below freezing for long. It must be comfortable. Above all else it must be very light, lighter than the average hiking boot. Oh, and if that's not enough, I'm not paying more than $150 for them.

I've looked at army boots, and haven't completely ruled them out, but I want to try them on before buying. They can be kind of heavy and aren't usually waterproof, though.

I'm kind of eyeing a pair of Maine Hunting Shoes from LL Bean. I'm also looking at a pair of Altama combat boots that are supposedly lighter than the average boot, although they're not waterproof. And finally I'm looking at a pair of Merrell hikers that have a Gore-Tex lining. The Merrells are the frontrunner at the moment because I've worn that brand for years and have loved every pair. But none of them quite make me want to go out and buy them, so I'm asking here.

Have any others that I haven't mentioned here? Am I narrowing the field too much by being too picky?