HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Treestand gear (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/391126-treestand-gear.html)

Lew.45 04-19-2014 04:48 AM

Treestand gear

I am going to Maine on a Black Bear Hunt in September. I plan on carrying a thermacell, flashlight, ammo, binoculars, knife, water bottle, rifle and a revolver. The revolver will be in a chest rig. The rifle will be on a sling. My questions are;

1. What type of pack do you all recommend for the extra gear? Fanny pack? Back pack or something else?

2. Am I taking to much/not enough in?

3. Can you all offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any education you all can offer.

number1wrench 04-19-2014 06:01 AM

Is this your first time there? You don't mention where you are from, is this a guided or self hunt? Are you going to plan a tree stand hunt or ground setup? If you are going guided I am sure your pro can and would appreciate helping you with a prep list and advice. Remember the only dumb question is the one unasked. Be safe and double safe, those things have canines and claws!

Lew.45 04-20-2014 01:46 PM

I am from Ohio. This will be my first time in Maine. It is a guided hunt. Tree stands are an hour from camp and you are out in your stand alone. I am looking forward to this like you wouldn't believe. 4 of us are going together we have been counting down days like kids for Christmas. I am trying to gain any advice that I can get.

wastednights 04-20-2014 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lew.45 (Post 4135534)
I am from Ohio. This will be my first time in Maine. It is a guided hunt. Tree stands are an hour from camp and you are out in your stand alone. I am looking forward to this like you wouldn't believe. 4 of us are going together we have been counting down days like kids for Christmas. I am trying to gain any advice that I can get.

Having hunted them twice now in Nova Scotia, I'm no expert, but I hunted from a ground blind both times, I only took my rifle, 6 rounds of ammo, water, snacks, flashlight and a camera.

Have fun:party0005:

Barefoot Friar 04-20-2014 04:32 PM

I just got one of these from Amazon. I love it. I took my tool belt, removed all the pouches, and clipped this to it with Alice clips. It also came with a shoulder strap. I don't know how many CCs it is, but I have enough room for shells, turkey calls, permit, license, and ID, a knife, and so on. There is a larger version as well but I think you will have to get it from Galaxy Surplus or US Cav.

Amazon has several different butt pack styles, and they all would probably work.

Barefoot Friar 04-20-2014 04:35 PM

Oh, I wanted to add:

I've used a backpack with a rifle sling and it bugs me. If I need more room I'll get a bigger butt pack before I carry a backpack. But since you're not camping you don't need a bunch of stuff anyway. What doesn't fit in the butt pack might fit in your pockets.

Valentine 04-21-2014 02:46 AM

Ha, no orders issued

There's no marching orders issued for hunters, but I noticed as I got older, the more I carried. A lot depends on whether you hunt with others nearby or hunt alone.
As you age you remember clearly the times you really needed that sweater in the backpack, or a rain jacket, or some fire starter, or a good compass, or anything needed for an unexpected night in the woods.
Nothing ever happened to a newbie, so less is needed. And it's hard to overcome that reality.

mfonts 04-27-2014 08:12 AM

Take a military style mosquito head net for a back up, also I duct tape around my wrist to keep the black flies out

Mojotex 05-06-2014 06:40 AM

Fall restraint harness.

ctiller4 05-30-2014 12:33 PM

Safety! Safety!

:happy0001: I hear that Mojotex! All treestand hunters should use a fall restraint harness! Other than that, sounds like you're good!