Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Hunting clothing: who here wears camo NOT? >

Hunting clothing: who here wears camo NOT?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting clothing: who here wears camo NOT?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Spike

Question Hunting clothing: who here wears camo NOT?

Who here does NOT wear camo for:

1. deer
2. KIE-yotes
3. groun skwirlz
4. bunneez
5. dux
6. geese
7. fezzuntz
8. duvz
9. huntin' bar
10 bobkatz
11. moose
12. elk
13. sheep
14. gobblerz
15. mowntun lie-unz

My hunter safety instructor back in the 1990's says animals cannot see colors and that blaze orange was sufficient. Camo was not necessary for hunting. My aim is to avoid camo wear as much as possible. it might even be challenging to find non-camo hunting wear these days.

When I hunted canned deer and ground squirrels back in one northern California Trinity County October mid 90's, I wore a blaze orange ball hat, a red plaid Pendleton, a solid blaze orange shooting vest, a small backpack, hiking boots and some dark work pants and bagged game just fine.

Last edited by JonMBailey; 04-14-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

camo isn't all about concealing your color from colorblind animals. the more important feature of camo is to obscure shapes.
if i can remember correctly cervidae (deer, moose, elk) see with a colorblindness that operates with more of a reddish tinge to everything but i personally believe the more you look like your surroundings the better off you'll be... assuming you can beat their noses!
edit: to answer your queston, i wear camo for every kind of hunting i do, usually put it on when i arrive at my destination and never wear it around as casual clothing. it unbelievable to me people smoke in their hunting gear.

Last edited by JohnnyHildo; 04-14-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:47 PM
Spike

Wink

Originally Posted by JohnnyHildo
camo isn't all about concealing your color from colorblind animals. the more important feature of camo is to obscure shapes.
if i can remember correctly cervidae (deer, moose, elk) see with a colorblindness that operates with more of a reddish tinge to everything but i personally believe the more you look like your surroundings the better off you'll be... assuming you can beat their noses!
edit: to answer your question, I wear camo for every kind of hunting i do, usually put it on when i arrive at my destination and never wear it around as casual clothing. it unbelievable to me people smoke in their hunting gear.
for safety reasons, blaze orange is to make hunters as visible as possible to other hunters in the field, perhaps break-up orange might be good compromise: look like a striped tiger in the field

My grandfather said you beat animal's noses by being downwind.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

no camo .

What are you selling?

Last edited by Tundra10; 04-14-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tundra10
no camo .

What are you selling?
Nothing, trying to buy actually.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wear camo, whether the deer or elk your hunting can see you or not I would be more concerned with the animals that become alert and can see you. The deer and other animals can pick up on alert animals and go into hiding for safety alone. Let some turkeys spot you and you will never know you missed a deer.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Topic moved to appropriate forum.
CalHunter
Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

I wear camo for just about everything that I don't have to wear blaze orange for. Might not matter that much for deer and their cousins, but turkey and waterfowl are another story. I would be you'd have a tough time with predators without camo as well.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wear various patterns for different terrains. Everything from snow to rock to desert to trees. If a yote or fox don't see you, a deer or elk isn't going to see you either.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Spike

Cool

Originally Posted by redgreen
I wear various patterns for different terrains. Everything from snow to rock to desert to trees. If a yote or fox don't see you, a deer or elk isn't going to see you either.

Again, as a guy having the fever to get back into the field again with a dog and a gun after many years not hunting, I want to be as frugal as possible for all my gear and clothes are no exception.

I might consider orange breakup jackets, vests, tee shirts and hats for all game where solid orange is not required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.