Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

2-way radios

Old 12-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Spike

Default 2-way radios

hey y'all...but im looking at buying my paps a good pair of walkie talkies for chirstmas...we got a ranch where we don't get phone service and I think it would be nice to have a good pair of walkie talkies to talk to eachother and communicate....here in Nebraska it is illegal to hunt with walkie talkies...but we need it for communication when at ranch working and what not....our ground can get pretty rough...safe to have them...any advice would help yall...ps-we do alotta of elk huntin also in high country timber and just lookin for a good pair of 2 ways...thank you guys anything will help!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've yet to find radios with the ability to serve as optics.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tundra10
I've yet to find radios with the ability to serve as optics.
GSM trail cams?

I bought a pair of Motorola FRS radios a few years back and they seem to work well, but range does diminish quite a bit when upland hunting in PA. My first thought was that CB might be better, but then I realized that I probably don't know what I'm talking about, so I did a quick search. Found this:

http://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013...-gmrs-vs-murs/

Plenty of graphs and whatnot, but this seems to be closest to the situation you'd be describing:

Higher wattage looks to be better, but in open, flat terrain, you could probably get away with FRS radios for relatively cheap, with the understanding that they'd be just about useless in high country. The right tool for the job, I guess.

Vehicle-based radios seem to perform better because of larger antennas.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Me and my dad's been using Motorola two ways for problem 12 years. We had two sets the first ones last 6 years. Got a set of Midland they where not good. Before season was over got a set of Motorola's and use them since. Me and dad hunt about a mile away between a lot of ridges with now problem hearing each other.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

hey y'all... Why is it "illegal to hunt with walkie talkies..." In Nebraska??
Old 01-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am guessing that the Nebraska game folks figure that being able to voice communicate between hunters in real time about game movement would offer an unfair advantge.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have used Cobra walkie talkies for years. Think they're about $50 a pair. Had 3 sets (6 handsets). Not sure we ever tested them to the 25mi quoted radius, but we've been over 10mi of northwest ks "hill country" apart and had no problem with them. Only complaint I ever had with them was that there was a "page" button or something on the front, so if you faced it out instead of in, it would "bleblebleep" on the other radios if you bumped it wrong.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Forgot to mention that I moved this topic to a more appropriate forum (this one) as per HNI rules AND because it should generate more views and responses (hopefully answers) for the OP.
CalHunter

On a side note, I would think Nebraska terrain should be similar to Nomercy448's Kansas terrain and should see similar results. I know that a heavy tree canopy (like in S/W Oregon) really knocks the signal reach down.

Last edited by CalHunter; 01-07-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

google baofeng foreign made but decent radios for cheap
RR
Old 01-07-2014, 06:02 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Garmin Rino - 5 Watt Walkie Talkie with a GPS so you can see on a Topo map where your partner is.

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.