Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Good boots to hunt out west

Old 08-11-2013, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Alsatian
I like Meindl Perfekt Hunter boots. I don't know how much thinsulate they have -- they do have other models besides the Perfekt Hunter that may have more thinsulate. I also don't know what their sizes are. They are comfortable, waterproof, and provide good ankle support. They are good on rocky trails and while carrying a heavy load. An interesting thing about the Perfekt Hunters is that they required NO break-in.

Let me explain. I bought the boots in 2006 in preparation for my first elk hunt in October 2006. I took them out to my hunting area for an overnight backpacking trip with my son in June to do some scouting/familiarization with the terrain. I didn't have an opportunity to break them in ahead of time and just decided, what the heck, I'm only going for an overnight and only going for maybe 10 or 15 miles. If I get blisters -- as I expected I would -- I would just tough it out for the overnight.

But I DIDN'T get any blisters or other troubles. Walked probably 10 miles, half of that uphill, some steeply uphill.

I don't know why they didn't need a break-in. Also, I personally don't require that in my boots -- I figure I'll just take the trouble to break them in properly before a long trip.
Either you had good socks, or you're just plain lucky.

ATB
Old 08-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I use 8" Danner Grand Slam which is a leather version of the Pronghorn with 400 gr thinsulite and gore-tex. Breakin wasn't an issue and they fit like a glove from the time I tried them on at a Cabelas in the mid west on the way out to the first trip. Those boots have served me well over the past 7 years and are still in great shape. I only use them for hunting out west and they cost about 170 dollars when I got them. I never had sore, cold or wet feet in them and I hunted in deep snow at least a couple of the trips. 5 elk and a muley in the 7 years out there and all but a couple of the animals had to be packed out on frames. Great boot and my hunting partner used the Meindl Perfekt Hunter and loves them.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 AM
Spike

I am down to Lowa, Meindl or Kenetrek in my selection. I have to decide soon.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Pearl08
I am down to Lowa, Meindl or Kenetrek in my selection. I have to decide soon.

All great choices....................!

Just a matter of your use and personal preference at this point ?