Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hand held GPS

Old 03-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hand held GPS

Does anyone on this site use a GPS to get to their deer stands?
I'm in a new area and will use one of these for awhile until I,m used to the area. I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck but something a "non" geek could use easily. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
daddus
Old 03-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

No but I use mine to go fishing and then pin the spots I want to fish the most.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:32 AM
Spike

Default Gps

Go to the Garmin site and look at the Etrex and Dakota models. There are several different ones from basic to more "geekie". You can get some good deals on used ones too. Over on the Archery Talk forum there was a Garmin 76S for $50.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Garmin Etrex and they are not that hard to use. At least the one I have isn't.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Guys,
So I can locate and mark a lot of stands and be able to get to each stand with one? Is there a limit of places I can mark? As you can tell I have never used one of these so all information is useful to me.
Thank you
daddus
Old 03-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Stick with Garmin and you will be fine. Depending on how much you want to spend will determine the features you get. Basic Garmin will do it better than any other brand basic model.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, even the lowest price Garmin etrex will do all you are wanting to do and you'll be able to put all the waypoints for stands, etc., than you will ever need. FYI the amazon.com website is about as good as you can get for prices. That's where I bought my Garmin Legend HCx last year for $153 and no shipping charges, which was by far the best price anywhere for it.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Old Hunter

After using a compass for decades, I'm going with a basic Garmin etrex.

It's good for moving from point A to B in the light, and moving from Point A to B in next day's pre dawn hours.

I've got a planned hunt, possibly over four or five consecutive days. I plan to play it by "ear."
I intend to hunt and scout; move and then move. I have at least four public areas, which I may cover. A gps will make the moves easier, especially over a five day, out of state hunt. One day I can move to point B, to point C, to point D one day. And have the option to move from Point A, the starting point, right to Point C the next day, without a lot of retained memory by me on Point C.

Any limitation on a gps is the "shoe leather" used. I'll be hunting solo, so I won't have to convince anyone else to move.

And I'll do some pre-season practice with the preseason walks in a park. And I'll find out how long batteries last, and how many to carry on the hunt. The old compass will remain as backup. That doesn't use batteries.

Hard to believe March is here already.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by buckwild41
Stick with Garmin and you will be fine. Depending on how much you want to spend will determine the features you get. Basic Garmin will do it better than any other brand basic model.
This is darn right funny.. I am not saying that Garmin is not any good though. I do like my DeLorme Earthmate better than a Garmin though. Even our law enforcement folks rely on DeLorme..
Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

And I'll do some pre-season practice with the preseason walks in a park. And I'll find out how long batteries last, and how many to carry on the hunt. The old compass will remain as backup. That doesn't use batteries.
I am a firm believer a compass is always a must have when going in and out of large areas you are not the familiar with. That is regardless of what GPS system you are carrying with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.