Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Limbsaver vs. Pachmayr recoil pads-opinions? >

Limbsaver vs. Pachmayr recoil pads-opinions?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Limbsaver vs. Pachmayr recoil pads-opinions?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Spike

Default Limbsaver vs. Pachmayr recoil pads-opinions?

I've always used Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pads on all my guns, and they've worked well, but I'm considering a Sims Limbsaver for the youth model 20 gauge shotgun I bought for my son. I think the Pachmayr looks a bit better, but I've heard the Limbsaver is a bit softer and protects against recoil a bit better...which is what I want for my kid. Which of you use one or both of these recoil pads, and what do you think of it? Do you think the Limbsaver reduces felt recoil better than the Pachmayr? Thanks in advance for your opinions. :-)
Old 01-17-2013, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use them both. The Limbsaver does feel softer to my fingers. In two nearly identical .375 rifles, I think (the key word - the difference may all be just in my head) the Pacmayer does a bit better with felt recoil. One .375 has the Pachmayr, the other has a Limbsaver.
The only difference I feel is in the bigger rifles. I can not feel any difference in recoil on medium or smaller cartridges (.30-06, etc.). I doubt that anyone would notice a difference on a 20 ga. shotgun. They are both very good.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

I have an older friend who has done a professional job installing several recoil pads on new rifles for me [ he has a belt sander, I do not ], and he has a problem with sanding the edges of the Limbsavers to a perfect fit due to they are a softer material and gum up when sanded whereas the Packmeyers are much easier to get a good fit. He will not even order the limbsavers anymore although they are a good pad---John
Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jhilde
I have an older friend who has done a professional job installing several recoil pads on new rifles for me [ he has a belt sander, I do not ], and he has a problem with sanding the edges of the Limbsavers to a perfect fit due to they are a softer material and gum up when sanded whereas the Packmeyers are much easier to get a good fit. He will not even order the limbsavers anymore although they are a good pad---John
True enough, the Limbsavers are soft and harder to sand. When I work on one of them I put it in the freezer for a while before sanding. That seems to make them somewhat easier to sand.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, the Decelerators are a little more durable.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I use decellerators when I can, and have learned to avoid the SVL's when at all possible, the SVL's react to the carpet in the safe like rubber worms on a plastic box, have actualy hadta pry my 7615 off the carpet at times.
RR
Did not know about the gun safe carpet problem. I will have to keep an eye on that. I have several Sims products in use and like them a lot.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the Limbsaver better, and it's all my gunsmith will use.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 01-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hard to read, and it's not expanding. Green is Pachmayr, and Limbsaver is blue.

Ignore Kick-eez. They fall apart.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

I have the decellerators on my 7mm and muzzleloader. I reaaly like them. Can't say about the limbsavers. Do not have any experience with them on a firearm. I do like their archery products though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.