HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Limbsaver vs. Pachmayr recoil pads-opinions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/377862-limbsaver-vs-pachmayr-recoil-pads-opinions.html)

SingleShotNeeded 01-16-2013 11:26 PM

Limbsaver vs. Pachmayr recoil pads-opinions?

I've always used Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pads on all my guns, and they've worked well, but I'm considering a Sims Limbsaver for the youth model 20 gauge shotgun I bought for my son. I think the Pachmayr looks a bit better, but I've heard the Limbsaver is a bit softer and protects against recoil a bit better...which is what I want for my kid. Which of you use one or both of these recoil pads, and what do you think of it? Do you think the Limbsaver reduces felt recoil better than the Pachmayr? Thanks in advance for your opinions. :-)

Big Uncle 01-17-2013 04:22 AM

I use them both. The Limbsaver does feel softer to my fingers. In two nearly identical .375 rifles, I think (the key word - the difference may all be just in my head) the Pacmayer does a bit better with felt recoil. One .375 has the Pachmayr, the other has a Limbsaver.
The only difference I feel is in the bigger rifles. I can not feel any difference in recoil on medium or smaller cartridges (.30-06, etc.). I doubt that anyone would notice a difference on a 20 ga. shotgun. They are both very good.

jhilde 01-17-2013 05:04 AM

I have an older friend who has done a professional job installing several recoil pads on new rifles for me [ he has a belt sander, I do not ], and he has a problem with sanding the edges of the Limbsavers to a perfect fit due to they are a softer material and gum up when sanded whereas the Packmeyers are much easier to get a good fit. He will not even order the limbsavers anymore although they are a good pad---John

Big Uncle 01-17-2013 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by jhilde (Post 4028483)
I have an older friend who has done a professional job installing several recoil pads on new rifles for me [ he has a belt sander, I do not ], and he has a problem with sanding the edges of the Limbsavers to a perfect fit due to they are a softer material and gum up when sanded whereas the Packmeyers are much easier to get a good fit. He will not even order the limbsavers anymore although they are a good pad---John

True enough, the Limbsavers are soft and harder to sand. When I work on one of them I put it in the freezer for a while before sanding. That seems to make them somewhat easier to sand.

VAhuntr 01-19-2013 02:37 PM

IMO, the Decelerators are a little more durable.

RPD63 01-20-2013 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4029275)
I use decellerators when I can, and have learned to avoid the SVL's when at all possible, the SVL's react to the carpet in the safe like rubber worms on a plastic box, have actualy hadta pry my 7615 off the carpet at times.
RR

Did not know about the gun safe carpet problem. I will have to keep an eye on that. I have several Sims products in use and like them a lot.

Muley Hunter 01-20-2013 09:26 AM

I like the Limbsaver better, and it's all my gunsmith will use.

Muley Hunter 01-20-2013 03:20 PM

Muley Hunter 01-20-2013 03:24 PM

Hard to read, and it's not expanding. Green is Pachmayr, and Limbsaver is blue.

Ignore Kick-eez. They fall apart.

HDMontana 01-23-2013 09:18 AM

I have the decellerators on my 7mm and muzzleloader. I reaaly like them. Can't say about the limbsavers. Do not have any experience with them on a firearm. I do like their archery products though.