Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Need help deciding on a new 30-06 and 12 GA! >

Need help deciding on a new 30-06 and 12 GA!

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Need help deciding on a new 30-06 and 12 GA!

Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Spike

The browning BPS and the Ithaca are very similar with the bottom loading/ejecting. Just not sure which one I should get. Maybe I should just go to the store and hold them. From what i read the Ithaca company is hreat as craftmanship (well the new company). I also jeard browning doesnt build their own pieces now. Having said all that i think im leaning more towards the ithaca. For turkey and pheasant would you recommend I get a 28" barrel?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't let the Browning thing bother you, it's just the way they have always done it. I own three Browning Auto 5's that I would not trade for anything. That being said, go out and get them both in your hands and see what feels best.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

I use the Rem 700 in my rifle (270) and an 870 for my shotgun. Never a problem with either, just with myself.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Tony7781
For turkey and pheasant would you recommend I get a 28" barrel?
The modern trend for turkey guns is a short barrel (i.e., 21 inch barrel on Remington's turkey version of the 870, 22 on Mossberg's) . The idea is they are easier to manuever in the brush. I'm only a casual pheasant hunter, but I'd assume you'd want a longer barrel for them since you are out in a field, have room to swing it around and are wing shooting at longer distances. I personally think the short-barrel turkey gun thing is overrated, and my turkey gun has a 26 inch barrel (Benelli SuperNova, but the way, love it), but 28 might be a bit awkward.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ithaca's Model 37 is a fine, long proven design pump action shotgun. It is a bottom eject.

Nothing wrong with either the Browning X-Bolt or BPS. The fundamental difference between the X-Bolt and Winchester 70 is the bolt. The Winchester employs a "control feed" type extractor. The X-Bolt is a push feed. Each has advantages and disadvantages over the other. But either type is long proven.

The BPS is quick, reliable and a solid bottom ejecty pump shotgun design.

Everyone has his/her favorites. There are so many well made, fine shooting factory offerings out there these days that selecting one is more a matter of personal choice than anything else. You want the rifle (and shot gun) to "feel" right. All the factory stuff is made for the "average" person (except youth sizes). The length of pull, drop, center of weight, etc. are a tad different rifle to rifle. Paper and on-line research can take you only so far. "Feel" as many as you can.

I have my personal favorites. For pump action - Benelli Nova. For bolt action center fire rifle - Styer Pro Hunter.

Last edited by Mojotex; 12-18-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Spike

Thanks a lot guys. All this information is really helpful. I think I'll take your advice and go an hold them all and see what feels best. As far as the shotgun barrel, sounds like ill be best with either a 26 or 28 but like you said a 28 with a choke tube could be about 30 so that may be a little much. Does anyone have any infor on the recoil diff in the guns? I shot my dads Winchester m70 and Remington 870. Both are really old models but honesty they killed, the 870 the worst. I see all the newer models have deccelerator pads. Do these things make a significant difference or any at all? Again thanks again in advance for your help with this important purchase!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:43 AM
Spike

rem 870 is the number one selling pump action shotgun for a reason they are workhorses. I own Winchester but my next shotgun is going to be a rem 870. they're not fooling a bunch of people to buy one the guys i know who own them own several.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

I use a remington 700 or model 7. But the seven wont come in 30-06. And the remington 870 1100 or 11-87
Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

I have Brownings..ALL MADE IN BELGIUM...now they are not anymore, but HEAVY ! I have the SAFARI BAR 30-06 and 12 gauge pump.. HEAVY TOO !

I just bought the Remington Nitro Mag 12. Holds 2 3/4, 3 , and 3 1/2, fiber sites and synthetic stock.. Works great and for 400. tax included. Look on youtube for videos. Lots of people on there demostrating / fooling around etc.

Bottom line my Brownings are nice but too heavy.....would look for other brand .

I do have the A-Bolt 308 from Browning and LOVE IT ! lite, balanced accurate as anything. So Id imagine the X is as good or better. Buy the .308...WAYYYYY BETTER THEN an 30-06. Shells are cheaper too. Goes further. SNIPERS USE IT...GOTTA BE GOOD !
Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Model 70 .30-06 . The reasons being it has a very good 3 position safety, and a very good trigger that can be easily adjusted by the owner. Pump shotguns are for the most part all reliable and fairly inexpensive. They do kick more than the autos. I would lean towards the shotgun that fit you the best.