Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

stands

Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Spike

Default stands

what do you people think about leaving hunting stands or blind out in public lands?

like would you it be a good idea to chain them to trees or what?
Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

Most public lands I know of dont allow stands left overnight.

Just ASKING for theft as well!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default On public land . . .

some states allows it for a specific time.

My theory on all kind of land is.....leave it all alone and it could be gone when you return. Heard of a fellow that chained his stand to a tree. When he returned a poacher had been there. Had cut the tree down, apparently with a chain saw. And the chain saw and tree stand were not in sight. Just the cut down tree. I may not like it, but I take those poachers seriously.

The climbing tree stand comes in and leaves the woods with me. That's my theory.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Spike

ok thats good to know i figured some one would either try to cut the chain or something
what about hunting from a bilnd? but i have herd hunting from a stand is better?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Not allowed to leave stands on public land here in Ohio. I know a few guys who have had cameras stolen though.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Spike

I have left my stand on private property that I have permission to hunt on and came back early the next morning and found a stranger sitting in it. Never think anything is safe in the woods no matter on private or public land.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It takes maybe 10-15 seconds to cut through all but the better grade of heat treated chains or lock hasps with a decent sized set of bolt cutters or a battery operated grinder.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by schickster
I have left my stand on private property that I have permission to hunt on and came back early the next morning and found a stranger sitting in it. Never think anything is safe in the woods no matter on private or public land.
It has a lot to do with where you are. The private property that I hunt my ladder stand has been up for 3 years and no one has messed with it, and there isnt even a chain on it. There are also multiple stands from over the years around the property that Im sure the owner is no longer around, and they have never been messed with.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The first to be shocked

when the stand or blind is stolen on public land.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I leave my old climbers locked up to cut down on the hassel of hiking them in and to cut down on setting up time. But if they were stolen I have only myself to blame. my Viper stays in my truck or with me and is only left if I know I will be there the next morning. The stands I leave have served me well through the years.