Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

bone saw

Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 AM
Spike

Default bone saw

looking for recommendations on a bone saw. it will be used on elk ( i hope) and carried in a pack. Any thoughts?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Fork Horn

Wyoming saws are nice to me they are bulky. I prefer just a gerber folding saw they aren't even close to being as good but I can carry it on my belt and they do the job.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never tried it on an elk. Buddy gave me a "saw kit". Has a short hack saw and a "wire saw". Works great on white tail deer. Light weight and takes up very little space. I think that the "wire saw" would do fine. Take some effort but should cut through eventually.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Spike

Actualy I heard of people using like a pocket saw what it is is a lil (survival ) saw you can buy them at walmart for like 3 or 4 $ never tried it but a guy my dad knows did he said it was ok not the best to use but not the worst
Old 08-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's what I use;

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Gerbe...h-All+Products

Attached to my pack; very handy !
Old 08-22-2012, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

I have used many over the years, but the best i've found is a relative to the one Sheridan showed you. This one has a thicker blade and more durable handle. Just a quick search, I found it here on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Exchang.../dp/B000MKSEHO
Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

At home nothing can beat a sawzall.. But you may want to check around and see if anyone uses a band saw.. This is because if anyone has a broken blade that is sharp you maybe able to get a piece of it. If you are lucky enough you can get a piece big enough to put on a bow saw. Just becarefull when drilling it out to fit it. It is a very hard steel and will take some time drilling. Or if someone you know has a drill press get a couple of bits and have them drill it out. That would make the best bone saw you could ever find.. Good Luck..
Old 08-23-2012, 04:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I carry the small sized Wyoming saw in my pack when elk hunting. It looks like a hack saw when assembled and has a couple of bone blades and a couple wood blades. It cuts legs off easily and works well cutting out the skull cap. It comes apart and is all in a small case which I keep in my pack along with the game bags. When it comes to field processing elk make sure you use the gutless method.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:36 AM
Spike

Well exactly where is bone saw used? I think it is being posted in the wrong place. I am really not getting the meaning of this bone saw. Please it would be great if you could explain.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Spike

Here's what I use;

http://www.outdooredge.com/Flip-n-Sa...%20n%20saw.htm