Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Best way to carry rounds without damage? >

Best way to carry rounds without damage?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best way to carry rounds without damage?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Spike

Default Best way to carry rounds without damage?

Hey everyone, I was just curious as to which methods you found are best for lugging around your extra rounds in the field. I've had enough tips damaged by just carrying mine in my pockets that I'm open to trying new methods!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Spike

how many rounds you carrying around with you in the field and what caliber. you could go with a MTM 20 round slip top box and stick that in your pocket of you jacket or look at cabelas for one of the ammo wallets. I have used the mtm boxes myself but mainly for ground hog hunting in western PA and I would just carry my 50 round mtm box of ammo
Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

For big game my I only take 4rds with me that are in the weapon. Varmits I usually carry either a 20 or 50 rd plastic box in my backpack. I seen wallets before that hold 5rds that attch to your belt. Not sure how well they work though.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Spike

bowhuntingnewbe, I normally carry around a dozen .243 rounds. I like the look of that MTM 20-round slip, I was looking at a similar product as well. Does that slip keep the rounds from clanging against each other?

Last edited by Rickshaw; 07-06-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

I use an ammo wallet or a slip on butt ammo holder. I don't want rounds rattling around in my pocket.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

buttstock slips or just whatever the gun will hold in it. I may carry rounds in a box in a backpack if I'm gonna be sitting on a stand or blind
Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bsteve
I don't want rounds rattling around in my pocket.
Right there with you!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bsteve
I use an ammo wallet or a slip on butt ammo holder. I don't want rounds rattling around in my pocket.
i like the slip on ammo wallets too. I keep one on my rifle and one on my bp rifle....no damage and you can reload quick
Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 AM
Typical Buck

I have an ammo holder on the stock of my rifle that holds 6 and an ammo wallet in my pocket that hold another 6.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rickshaw
bowhuntingnewbe, I normally carry around a dozen .243 rounds. I like the look of that MTM 20-round slip, I was looking at a similar product as well. Does that slip keep the rounds from clanging against each other?
I used to use those slip sock ammo carrier but kept losing cartridges. I may modify the ones I have to make a cover to keep them from falling out.

But for a backpack or my pocket I make wooden block ammo boxes like in this 52 second video.

Wooden Ammo Box

I have boxes made from 2 by material as well as 1 by; boxes that hold from 3 to 15 cartridges.

They are easy to make and are super strong... a bit bulky unless you are real good at drilling the holes close to each other. I have 5 pack 30-06 boxes that fit in any of my pockets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.