Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
I need help on picking a scope. >

I need help on picking a scope.

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

I need help on picking a scope.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Spike

I would also use loose powder because you can really dial in a load with it.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't mention what type of scope you are replacing so I might be recommending something you are getting rid of.

The Burris Fullfield IIs, either in 2-7 or 3-9 are a real good deal right now (I prefer the 2-7 for a ML). Also the Vortex Diamondback line, also in 2-7, is well thought of. Pity they no longer make the Vortex Viper 2-7, that was a sweet deal.

Regarding whether to use loose powder or pellets, I would definitely go with loose, but ask or do a search in the ML section to get a full understanding as to the why.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pellets are very simple to use, and usually 100 gr. in a 50 cal. behind a bullet in the 250 gr. weight range works fine. Downside to pellets ... I have found pellets less consistent than loose powder, but it might be worth a try. And pellets that I have found come in 50 gr. increments. Not a simple way to custom a load other than try different bullets. I use loose powder.

As for a scope? I am guessing you may be hunting both woods and ag fields???? I suspect that some of the ag fields might be expansive enough to test or exceed the reasonable far distance that your ML is capable of. Something like a 1.5-6x40mm or 2-7x40mm would be a good choice.