Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Tree Stand Cable for locking?

Old 12-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Spike

Default Tree Stand Cable for locking?

I need a cable that cant be cut with a hacksaw or bolt cutters. For years i had the same old Masterlock and bike cable which just had a loop on both ends of the cable. Well i went to move my stand a month ago and put the key in the master lock and it broke clean off in the lock. I was thinking just great now what. I tried to use needle nose pliers to grab the key but it was to far inside no luck. So i took the hacksaw out thinking ill have to cut the lock. well i couldn't scratch the lock with the blade so i moved onto the cable it took me literally 10seconds to zip through the metal wire of the cable. Alot of good my big Masterlock was when the cable was a joke to cut through. If someone was stealing my stand it would of been easy as pie for them.

So what do you guys use to lock your stands up with. should i get a big ole hunk of link chain or is there an actual tree stand cable that is cut proof. I hunt private land but stands have gone missing on the property before.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I use the best small link SS chain I can find and a good masterlock. Nothing is forever but at least I can make it difficult.

JW
Old 12-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Spike

I also use a chain. Check out the farm store and get a few feet of something burly and grab a weather proof master lock. I have had people try to take my stands but i don't think they are motivated enough to cut through the chain. lol
Old 12-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by larry_073
Check out the farm store and get a few feet of something burly and grab a weather proof master lock.

As good as yer gonna get. Bolt cutter will eat most for dinner if the A hole is so inclined.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I go to aubucion hardware and get a masterlock 3/8" x6' steel aircraft type cable with double eyes for 10 bucks. It has a plastic coating for quietness and I spray paint flat black or grey. I run the cable around the tree and through the stand and put on a combo lock. I have found it to be good enough to keep most people from getting the stands.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-12-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

As others have said, a heavy duty cable or a heavy chain works well when combined with a good quality lock. All you are trying to do is make it harder to steal....if they really want it, they will figure out a way.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Spike

thanks for the suggestions i may check out this lock i found while doing research. http://www.standguardian.com/content/view/14/36/

looks like your normal cable locking system on steroids.

takes a real lowlife to steal someone tree stand that's all i know.

found them cheaper at http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=922248

Last edited by Marv_Levy; 12-12-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM
foo
Spike

Default Tree stand cable

If you want to chain something up that won't be stolen like a tree stand,game camera,4 wheeler, or Harley. You need to use a Tulsa Chain security chain, you need to cut this with a gas torch, even then it takes a while. (tulsachain.com)
Old 12-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Marv_Levy
takes a real lowlife to steal someone tree stand that's all i know. ]

No argument there.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:33 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Want to keep the chain you use quiet? Insert the chain in an old rubber bicycle inner tube.

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.