Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cheap hunting clothing

Old 10-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Spike

Default Cheap hunting clothing

Last year was my first time hunting. I went with my father in law to his cabin and hunted deer for a weekend. It was fun except I was wearing sneakers with two pairs of socks and warmer packs and jeans with thermal underwear and I was cold!

So this year I thought I might get some hunting clothing to keep myself warm but my wife doesn't like the idea of me spending a lot of money for something that I plan on doing one or two weekends a year.

So, do you have any suggestions for hunting clothing that would keep me warm that wont break the bank?

This is what I was looking at so far that my wife said was too much money:

bibs

boots

By the way, I wear size 15 shoe so choices are limited on boots.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tor
Old 10-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Army / Navy surplus store.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Spike

Agreed with military surplus for cheap outer layers and such. You need a pair of boots, period. You can get an ok pair for $40-50 if you shop sales at outdoor stores. They won't last as long, but they'll work if they fit.

If you want cheap on your other gear, don't obsess with "hunting" gear or camo. Layer. Avoid cotton and go for wool and synthetics. Layer. You probably have things already that will work to keep you warm. Layer.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Spike

Dudecicle, check Craigslist. Nothing wrong with used stuff. Hope you have a warmer more enjoyable hunt this year.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

you dont have to spend big $$$,
but do have to spend it wisely,
wearing the right clothes to match the weather is key,
boots,
hard to say, i have bought $35 boots from walmart,
and have also bought $200 boots,
the $35 boots are great for 1 season of hiking about 100 miles,
waterproofing wears out quickly, you can extend it by using aftermarket waterproof coatings, i wax my seams every now and then,
but after say 50-100 miles of hiking seams will come apart on you,
and no maintenance can keep them dry

$200 boots, can get +10 yrs of heavy use out of them.

Jeans are fine on cool dry days,
but they really suck every other time,
even on nice dry mornings, walking through grass they will soak up whatever dew/moisture is on the grass and on the sunniest/driest days can end up soaked from the knee down,
find pants that are either waterproof, or ones that dry quickly,
i have bought pants for hiking for as cheap as $6,

if you must wear jeans, and depending on where your hiking/hunting, can invest in gators that cover your boots/lower legs,
work great on wet grass, and also when walking through snow,
gators are a cheap invest that can make your boots/pants much more comfortable in bad conditions,

if your on a limited budget i would be careful not to buy single items that are only useful in specific conditions,
a thinner outer shell that can be layered underneath depending on the seasons, might be more usefull then a heavy jacket thats only comfy when is below 20 degree's

also look up proper layering for cold/wet weather,
it will help you get the most out of whatever your wearing,
i have seen people out with what looks like simplest of clothes, yet be perfectly comfortable, while others are wearing everything in the cabelas catalogue and are still cold and wet.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Spike

$200 boots, can get +10 yrs of heavy use out of them.

The other advantage of better boots without the soft foam and cheap materials is that they usually end up more comfortable once they're broken in as well. It can be painful getting them there, but once they fit they're great.

Long-term they're a wise investment, but if the budget is tight now it might be necessary to skimp a bit and plan on getting a better pair when they've worn out. At least with my wife, it's usually easier to sneak in a single higher-end purchase at a time.

Oh, and you can also check thrift stores for cheap wool sweaters. My wife has found me merino wool for $5-10 before.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure what weather conditions you are looking at ... so I'll go cold because you mentioned it. A key to staying worm is not staying wet. So called thermal underwear that is essentially cotton will not get it. Cotton gets wet, it'll stay wet. Wet against the skin is a killer for sure.

Look into military issue poly. It works fine. And is a value purchase. Usually these can be found on line for about $30-$35 for a top and a bottom. Couple sets would do fine. Another route is loose fitting 100% poly "sweat" pants and shirt. Sometimes these can be had for $10-$15 each and are great over good thermal underwear as a second layer. It is not high tech, but it will keep you pretty warm if you can cut the wind with an outer garment. Cammo is great but fact is that any woodsy colored outer layer that will break the wind well will work. Wool or wool/poly blend is super outer gear. Not water proof, but warm for sure.

At size 15 foot, boots will be the big expense. I'd budget $60-$75 at least and hope to find a water proof boot with 400-800gr. of insulation. If you are not going to do a lot of walking, then insulated boots in this price range should work OK. If you keep them cleaned and treated, then they should make several seasons of 1-2 weekends of hunting. Go for wool or wool/poly blend socks. One good sock should work .... I suggest that if you are still or stand hunting, buy a few packs of "Toasty Toes" and "Hot Hands". These work fine for sitting. Head gear ? You could probably get by with a couple of decent toboggans. A poly scarf tucked around your neck helps a ton in cold weather. Maybe take a look at "thrift stores" ????
Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Look on ebay for Pendleton wool shirts for about $20. Also, look at Army surplus stores or ebay for M-51 wool pants for about $20. This would be an excellent base, along with wicking long underwear -- tops and bottoms. Other things to look at for warmth is warm head gear. Also consider a wool vest over the wool shirt -- maybe you can find this used on-line cheap. Wool and wicking under garments and warm head gear are the big helps to keeping warm.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default lordy, I couldn't even begin

A newbie hunter; Big foot looking for size 15 cheap boots; has a wife for direct supervision of outdoor activities; hunts with the father-in-law. Son, have you thought of taking up domino tournaments.

Seriously, you should use the outstanding wife to find you bargains at used clothing places -such as a Goodwill. My wife found me an excellent used pair of non-sportsman wool pants in black, which did their job in gun hunting season. Working with the wife can solve some problems. Some items are cheaper if they don't have a "sportsman's" label on it.
Wool is outstanding in cold weather. I have a pair of 40 year old Shetland wool sweaters that I use in the outdoor cold and frigid weather. They still work. I know they're 40 years old because I bought them when I was single for non hunting purposes.

Learn that cotton isn't very good for keeping one warm in cold weather or comfortable if wet.

Learn that stores don't have sales on big foot items. Learn what items you need in big foot sizes. It'll save a couple of decades of trauma. Size 15 !!!!!! As for boots, I won't wear anything in cold weather unless it has insulation, has necessary rubber on the bottom, and can get two pairs of wool socks on my feet. And leather never worked good in cold and snow. Of course, I had an uncle who fought in the Battle of the Bulge during WWII. He learned the hard way of cold and snow.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

I'm with Valentine on this. I bought Wrangler Riggs Workwear cargo pants at Goodwill for $4.00 dollars. They are hands down the best hunting pants I've ever owned. Dark olive, double reinforced knees, pockets big enough for a thermocell in one side & a .357 in the other. They were cheap because they were used & had a grass stain on them - now I've stained them with blood from an 8 point. Except for my bugtamer, I buy most of my hunting clothes at Goodwill. It supports a good cause & is the cheapest place I know of to get quality clothes for rock-bottom prices. IMHO brown & olive is just as good as camo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.