Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

tree steps

Old 08-10-2003, 09:28 PM

Default tree steps

which ones would you guys reccomend for ease of use.the strap on kind our the pain in the but twist in.how do guys reccomend to make it more simpler and faster.were i hunt you are better off not to leave a stand or if i do i want to be able to remove some steps so the buttholes cant swipe your stand.there is always some who get a kick out of stealing your equipment
Old 08-11-2003, 03:33 AM

Default RE: tree steps

I use the screw in type. The strap on are more of a pain in the butt to me.
I use a more expensive type of screw in ($4.00 each) . These screw into the tree like a knife through butter.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the big screw in type also.
Another option which might work for you, are skyhooks. They attach onto a lag bolt, and you can easily take them off when you leave. If you know your spots where you want your stands, you just go in ahead of time and put your lags in, and you' re all set.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use skyhooks for the bottom 5 or 6 steps, then screw ins going up after that. I love the Ameristep Grizzly' s. DO NOT get the ones that swivel with a pin. I have a bunch and they taper down, such that they can pull out while climbing.

Here' s what you do: Get some skyhooks with extra lags. That way, you can access many treestands with a single pair of steps, you just need about 5 or so lags for each. Then you get some Grizzly screw in steps. Bring your bottle of green scent free soap, and use it to lube the threads before you run them in a tree. Also, I predrilled a hole several sizes smaller, then used the lubed steps. It goes in real easy. It shouldn' t take an hour to do this per stand.

Also, space the lags using your arm..... Go from where your thumb connects to your hand, to your elbow. That should be the distance between the lag on the left (left step) and the lag on the right (right step).
Old 08-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Cranford EZY Steps and API Skyhooks for the first 4 steps. The Cranfords are by far the best IMO.....I have some that are 15 years old and will still go in a tree with no problems. I am considering trying out some brand of climbing sticks next year though....I like the Lone Wolf Sticks and the new Buck Steps from Summit.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Cranford Ezy Climb rod steps for me! No rivets to fail, all hardened carbon steel and much easier to screw in and take out than Ameristep, a little more expensive though. Strongest tree steps I ever have used.

I also have some API aluminum steps with the lag screws but do not like the small amount of foot area with the APIs.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:48 PM

were do you get the cranfords at fellas
Old 08-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Better check you states rules and regulations. It' s illegal in some states to screw into the trees.Just a suggestion.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 08-29-2003, 12:51 PM

GoldTip TRUST ME, ditch the screw in steps and go with the various " step-ladders" . I speak from 15+ years of using Loc-On chain on stands. I have had nearly 20 of them over the years and you can imagine the collection of screw in steps I' ve amassed with that many stands. Once I used the ladders a couple of years ago, I REFUSE to go back to steps. Its much easier and less time consuming. I can actually hang a stand in less than 5 minutes. Sometimes I have actually hung them the morning I hunted from them. Its that easy with the ladders.

I' ve also found it makes you more inclined to move the stand that few extra yards you realized you needed to once you hunted that area. Sometimes with the steps I said " screw it" I aint movin the stand because of the pain in the azz of having to deal with the steps. I prefer the Summit " Sky Ladder" variety. The " loops" make it much easier to hold onto and climb with (is more reassuring to beginners as well).

Trust me, once you use them you will use your steps as bow/equipment holders. The ONLY time I use a step is that rare occasion that I need a step above the stand and for some reason the stand cant be placed below the top of the ladder. But one step is MUCH easier than installing a dozen or so. Sometimes when I hang a stand for guests I might add a step or two above the ladder and stand so that they have something to hold onto while pulling themselves into the stand. I buy several ladders so that instead of the 3 piece 18' sections I break em up and put up 4 sections that get me 24' . This makes it easier to have a stand that is at least 20' without having to ever use the top of the ladder for standing/climbing on.

Good luck,
RA

ps
I killed my second P&Y buck lastyear in MO from a Loc-On High Style/Summit Sky Ladder that I had hung only 1 hour 20 minutes before the buck walked under me (shot him at 6 steps). It was an afternoon hunt and I had drove up there that morning (am 4+ hours away in TN). It is just SO much easier to be up the tree and settled in without having to spend 10-20 minutes sweating and hangin on the side of a tree (plus wearing out your wrists, those steps are tough when you gotta put em in hardwoods). I' ve never used the " drill a pilothole" in the tree first manuever but many of my buds do. They have also had steps pull out while climbing, thats something I' ve never had happen when just bearing down and screwing them in.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:46 AM

I have used Skyhooks for many years and like the folding steps the best. Here is the problem. API has dropped them and the lag bolts are not available. Anyone know where they are still selling these ? []

Quick Reply: tree steps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.