Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

How do use your boresnake?

Old 09-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Spike

Question How do use your boresnake?

I got my savage 270 2 or 3 weeks ago and of course, the first thing i got for it was a boresnake. As i am a firm believer in the boresnake. I've shot 40 through it on 2 occasions equalling a total of 80 rounds. After each time, I start by squirting some hoppes 9 solvent on the area right in front of the brushes then pulling it through 5 times. Then, I squeeze out as much solvent as i can with a rag or paper towel, squirt some rem-oil on the tail end of .the boresnake and pull it through 2 more times. This time i noticed it looking rather grungy and im about to clean it. How do you guys use your snakes?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I buy 2.

One for solvents; use for both fouling & copper.

I use Hoppe's #9 and pour a small amount in a bottle big enough to fit the entire snake in it, then cover it with my hand and shake, until the snake is wet.

I pull the snake out while pressing the snake against the lip, draining the excess back into the bottle.

I pull the snake into the barrel and let it sit inside the barrel for +/- 5 mintues.

I then pull it throught the barrel 3-5 times.

Dry the snake by pulling it through a clean rag.

Same basic process with copper solvent (Shooter's Choice), although I just soak the upper +/- 1/5 to 1/4 of the snake, before I pull it through 3-5 times.

Second snake is for the oil - wet top (1" to 2") with oil pull through 3-5 times.

Dry both snakes by pulling through a clean rag before putting away (baggie).

Discount your first 3-5 shots, if looking for tight groups at the range.

IMO - Snakes are great for the break-in process and field use.

BTW - more barrels are ruined by using cleaning rods without a bore guide ~ Not my opinion ~ my gunsmith's experiences !!!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 09-13-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Spike

your method seems very effective but for me it seems to defeat the convenience that i love boresnakes because of
Old 09-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Spike

your method seems very effective but for me it seems to defeat the convenience that i love boresnakes because of
Old 09-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the boresnake for field cleaning and pre-solvent when cleaning at home. I usually leave the barrel fouled some during the deer season and dry clean with the boresnake. The Ranger Captain that was my platoon trainer in Infantry Officer Basic Course recomended that I leave the bore fouled the night before M-16 rifle qualification (fired Expert like I did when I was enlisted). I still do that some thirty-one years later. I have noticed over the years that when I fire a rifle after cleaning the bore, the shots are somewhat erratic and it takes a couple of shots to get where I get good groups.