Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
on Slughunter vs. Nikon Prostaff Shotgun Hunter >

on Slughunter vs. Nikon Prostaff Shotgun Hunter

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

on Slughunter vs. Nikon Prostaff Shotgun Hunter

Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default on Slughunter vs. Nikon Prostaff Shotgun Hunter

Anyone have any experience with these 2 scopes. The first one is a bit pricier--is it worth it? Much of a difference between them?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Spike

i had the muzzleloader version of the slughunter scope.the field of veiw was too narrow and i sold it.check the specs on both of them.i have a prostaff 3x9x40 on a lightweight handi rifle in 45/70 that kicks pretty good and its held up well.for the money,the prostaff line is a good value.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Hay, I'm also looking to ask for one of these two scopes for Christmas, does anyone else have an opinion? I'd also like to know if the price difference is worth it. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Nikon "Pro Staff" line is middle of the pack as far as quality goes, and certainly is adequate. I am guessing that you are putting this scope on a "slug gun" because you mentioned a "Slug Hunter" scope. I have no clue of your budget is or how avid a hunter that you are. So if I am off the mark .... well just shoot me. Buy the absolute best scope that you can. Inexpensive scopes, regardless of maker, do not and cannot have great glass, truly precision craftmanship, rugged construction or leading edge coatings. These attibutes all contribute to the wole point of mounting a scope ... so you can see what you want to shoot well and for a long time into the future. I would imagine that slug hunting, shots will be under 200 yards 99.99% of the time and most of the time very close. So in my book something like a 1.5-6x40 mm would be a great choice. I am partial towards Ziess Conquest, Leupold Vari-X III and Bushnell Elite 4200 for great values. But they may be out of your current budget. I am not a fan of "busy" so called ballistic compensating reticules. A simple, heavy plex such as a German #4 is ideal in my book for 200 yard +/-. And with a little time at the range, you should be able to learn the arc of your set up and easilky compensate for those rare longer shots. Good luck and safe hunting. And Merry Christmas !!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Hay thanks. Merry Christmas.