Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Need Extra Zoom 4 Cheap?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:41 AM
Spike

Default Need Extra Zoom 4 Cheap?

I found a steal of a deal at my local Fleet Farm, where they were selling the Epic Stealth Cam (normally $150-$190) for only $35. Testing and trying this thing out, I found and would agree with any post that mentions the picture image being grainy, and having very poor zoom; but what do you expect for 35 dollars.

Getting ready for a South Dakota coyote hunt, I was hoping this camera would finally allow me to post some videos on youtube and such. Then the idea hit me...get a cheap scope in front of the camera! This idea, though great, posed alot of problems. The cheapest scopes with decent light intake and zoom were still around 60 bucks, plus then you have to deal with the mounting of the camera to the scope, and then the scope to the object you wish to video from.

Walking around Fleet Farm days later, I found the ANSWER!!! The Tasco 10x Monocular, which is only 10 bucks, and is almost the same width as the stealthcam, should be perfect. After very little effort I found this is what everyone needs who wants to save a buck and still get that great distance of zoom with their cheap little cameras..

All you need is the Tasco Monocular, the stealthcam, a red 20oz coke plastic bottle cap, some ducktape, a scissors, a set of drill bits and a drill or dremel tool with a boaring sander, and a very little time.

Size the front of the camera with the top of the bottle cap, drill out the center of the cap to fit around the camera lens and mic body (take your time with this part and make it centered), then take your cap and place the bottom side inside your viewing end of the monocular (set your monocular to its best clarity for the range you intend to shoot or view at), place the camera into the caps board out end (be sure to center it and line it up with the monoculars body)(should give you roughly 1/4 inch from end of monocular to end of camera), now tape that sucker together, cut an area so you can see the screen and access the cameras buttons, and mount it to whatever (I put it on my rifle with some extra camo rap).

Easy Peazzy Chicken Dinner!! Now you have clarity, zoom for 200+ yards, and it even brings in more light!!

I'll attach a finished product picture with my wife deletes some pictures off our camera today!!