Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

my sheep hunting rig! tips?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Spike

Default my sheep hunting rig! tips?

in mid to late september, i will be living out of this pack for 2 weeks while i spike camp out for bighorn sheep.

any suggestions on how to improve? or new tricks to learn from anybody that's hunted them before.

my pack is about 32 pounds full, with full water bottles. i'm not sure if i can cut much weight off it.

i made an extendable tripod mount for my spotting scope, all in all my spotting scope and tripod weight was cut down by a pound.

using an optimus crux isobutane stove for my beloved mountain house and ramen meals
Attached Thumbnails my sheep hunting rig! tips?-rifle-pack.jpg   my sheep hunting rig! tips?-sheep-gear.jpg   my sheep hunting rig! tips?-scope-pack.jpg   my sheep hunting rig! tips?-scope.jpg  
Old 02-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Spike

While I never been on a hunt like this, you certainlly look prepared, good luck to you.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Spike

anybody have any experience with this?

i would really appreciate the advice.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:37 PM
gmd
Spike

bump on this i would like to know more about what to pack as well
Old 07-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

nsdemit,
I have NEVER hunted Bighorn sheep, however, I have hunted Dall sheep (I lived in Alaska for 17 years). From my sheep hunting experiences, I would say your mind is right on track; carry only the essentials! ...and essentials does not mean case of beer, slab of bacon....

From your post, you say your whole pack will be 32lbs. Does that include ammo, knives, first aid kit, flash mirror, radio or cell phone, meat/cape sacks, plastic trash bags (to protect you from the rain...if any) and of course a camera? The reason I ask is because I did not see any of this in the photos you provided. You may need it.

Two weeks, wow! That's a long time to be spiking it. Are you going alone? What type of terrain?

I wish you the best of luck and of course be safe!!!!!!! .....and remember...there are old sheep hunters and bold sheep hunters, but there are NO old,bold sheep hunters. NO SHEEP IS WORTH YOUR LIFE!!!