Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Ground Blind

Old 12-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Ground Blind

for those of you who hunt out of a ground blind, what kind do you have? Do you like it? Pros, cons? Would be interested in seeing pics if you have them.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

I have one of the Ameristep Doghouse popup blinds and a Primos Ground Max hub blind. The Doghouse isn't very bulky to carry, pops up in seconds, folds up nearly as fast (ONCE YOU LEARN HOW LOL) and is nice for run 'n gun turkey hunting or gun hunting for deer. It is too small for comfortably shooting a bow though. The Primos is larger and heavier. I haven't hunted out of it much, but I can stand and shoot my bow out of it. There are several more expensive ones out there that have better features, but I haven't ever used any others. My Primos has Velcro mesh windows that are NOISY! but they have magnetic versions too. I would highly recommend the magnetic ones.

rw
Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Spike

Glad I read this, I didn't know they had magnetic screens in some blinds. Time to go shopping! I hate the velcro!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

i got a cheep ass one from academy...was $50...so far so good..fer $50 i cant complain.
i have to take my stabilizer off my bow, and make sure im set up to shoot caddy corner in the blind, and im touchin both of the opposite corners when i draw back, but 1st year i had it i got a kill in it almost immediately.
was it my success on this particular piece of property? i believe so
Old 01-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

I have an Ameristep Dog House and like it. Just finished my second season with it and it is holding up pretty well. I leave it out for several months unless it is going to be really windy. The poles do poke through the sleeve area some so that is annoying. It folds down to a pretty compact size and comes with a pouch with shoulder straps so you can pack it in if needed.

Since I leave mine up a lot, I am looking at getting a bigger one that is made of heavier material.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Spike

I have a ameristep brickhouse blind and i love it. i just got it this season and is holding up very well. its not real heavy and bulky to pack around i think it weighs around 20 pounds. me and my son fit in it fine with all our gear i am 6'1 190 and he is 5'5 140 and we got plenty of room.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Ameristep Doghouse too. Bought it NIB on ebay for less than $60 including shipping and so far it is very nice especially for under $60. Plenty of room but I can see where you would have to be careful bow hunting. You could bow hunt out of it but you would just have to pay attention when drawing your bow. Sets up fast, takes down fast, comes with stakes and tree tie downs for really windy days.