Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Arctic Armor

Old 12-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Arctic Armor

Anyone know much about cold weather suits designed for flotation safety. I understand that suits marketed by Arctic Armor will allow someone to float if they break through the ice. I am wondering how warm they are. Anyone got any experience with them? My present thinsulite bibs and expedition goose down coat are more than warm enough to keep me comfortable on a frozen lake all day. The thought of having an equally warm suit that floats is something of interest for me. What is the scoop on them?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here you go; hope this helps...............

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...?topic=85648.0

http://www.myboatsgear.com/mbg/product.asp?prodID=1570

http://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor1.php
Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks I checked it out and thought it might be a good idea. I took a short road trip today and went to gander mountain where they had the new green and black plus suit. It is quite light and I didn't figure it could be warm enough since I am usually out in real cold windy temps all day every day commercially pan fishing. My usuall outfit is the cabelas goose down expedition parka and some gortex insulated pants. The whole outfit is pretty heavy and bulky and this arctic armor stuff just looked kind of too light for what I need. I went home and stopped at the fish buyer for a chat and some beer and ran into one of my friends who bought a suit and he said they are real warm. Then the buyer said 3 people fell in today...all got out that convinced me. Back to Gander tomorrow and getting the suit.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Went to Gander tonight and bought a suit. I'll report how it went tomorrow with some wind and temps in the low teens.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Cold and windy all day with temps in the low teens. The bibs are real warm but kind of a pain to put on since they have a set of gators inside that you need to deal with. The coat isn't as warm as my cabelas expedition down coat but it did keep me warm and I didn't feel the wind. Plenty of pockets for all my tackle and gear. Long story short I liked them and felt secure knowing if I broke through I wouldn't sink.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Latest update and this is important. A friend broke through today and was in 20 feet of water for about 5 minutes before I could get to him. He tried to climb out but the thin ice kept breaking and he was getting real tired. I looked over the scene and he was in up to his neck trying to stay afloat and I crawled out to where the hole was and extended a fishing sled to him and when he grabbed on to it another guy and I dragged him out. Having Arctic Armor on gave me the confidence to save his life. Had I not had it on the odds of me going in and drowning were great. Every ice fisherman needs to buy this product.