Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Safety Harness ???

Old 11-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Safety Harness ???

Does anyone have any experience with the Rescue One Controlled Descent System safety harness? Looks like a very good idea to me.

http://mountaineer-sports.com/products.php#rescue_one
Old 11-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Hunters Safety Systems are by far the best. Easy to put on, and use, they keep 100% safe. I love them, plus you don't feel like you have a vest on either. Go with that.

BigBuck95
Old 11-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

too expensive.i use one i got with my stand from SUMMIT.i put it on at home if i am going out in dark of the mornings.1 less thing to do in dark.
it is hardered to put on that those expensive vests but after little practice and i marked the straps. it very easy.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too put my Summit harness on at home and have the shoulder straps marked "L" & "R". My problem with that harness is constantly having to tighten the leg straps.

My concern with any harness is what happens in the event of a fall. What plan do you have to either get back into your stand or get to the ground? This is where the Rescue One seems like a good idea, even though it is on the expensive side.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I too put my Summit harness on at home and have the shoulder straps marked "L" & "R". My problem with that harness is constantly having to tighten the leg straps.

My concern with any harness is what happens in the event of a fall. What plan do you have to either get back into your stand or get to the ground? This is where the Rescue One seems like a good idea, even though it is on the expensive side.
after you put the strap thru the leg plastic clip and tighten double it back thru.i know what you mean, i was walking and straps came undone. but after i doubled the strap back thru the plastic clip, it stayed fairly snug while walking.

i also did away with carseat strap around the tree and got a 12 ft rope from safetreehunt .carseat would fall down and would not work whiule FACING the tree.......

as for falling.only way a climber like summit is going to cause that is if you dont tie the top to bottom.falling over side of rail in my opinion is almost impossible.even if you fall asleep.

THIS IS WHY I WILL NEVER USE LOCK-ON.all our deaths are lock-ons or any stand without rail in front.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default Resque Harness

How much do they cost?

Originally Posted by sproulman
too expensive.i use one i got with my stand from SUMMIT.i put it on at home if i am going out in dark of the mornings.1 less thing to do in dark.
it is hardered to put on that those expensive vests but after little practice and i marked the straps. it very easy.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jrfrmn
How much do they cost?
i dont know, they give you one with your summit stand. the climbing strap is awful so i bought a 12 ft rope/prussic knot from SAFETREEHUNT and carbioner from local climbing shop.

you could call summit and ask for price or you may find one on e-bay or craigslist.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jrfrmn
How much do they cost?
If you are asking how much the Rescue One is, then it is anywhere from $170 to $199 depending on the retailer. If you compare it to the HSS Pro Vest at $159 the Rescue One is not that bad.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
after you put the strap thru the leg plastic clip and tighten double it back thru.i know what you mean, i was walking and straps came undone. but after i doubled the strap back thru the plastic clip, it stayed fairly snug while walking.

i also did away with carseat strap around the tree and got a 12 ft rope from safetreehunt .carseat would fall down and would not work whiule FACING the tree.......

as for falling.only way a climber like summit is going to cause that is if you dont tie the top to bottom.falling over side of rail in my opinion is almost impossible.even if you fall asleep.

THIS IS WHY I WILL NEVER USE LOCK-ON.all our deaths are lock-ons or any stand without rail in front.

Yeah, I double the straps back through and they still loosen up when walking. I agree that a Summit stand is very safe and I have fallen asleep in the stand before.....but it is a man made device so it could fail. Read my post in the Whitetail Hunting forum concerning an issue that happened to me a few weeks ago.