Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Gaiters for hunting

Old 04-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Scotty, that is a dang good idea. However remember, many ticks get on us by dropping off a bush or high grass when we walk by, that will certainly get the ground dwellers though.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Scotty, that is a dang good idea. However remember, many ticks get on us by dropping off a bush or high grass when we walk by, that will certainly get the ground dwellers though.
yeah i bought some of that elimitick clothing too. I was just scared when it came to lyme disease, now that they have this new disease you get from tick bites, it basically makes you allergic to meat, im terrified lol
Old 04-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JohnnyCapra
I have been going out for hiking once in a month. Last month, I bought a pair of the gaiters from Black Crystal Online. I found them quite lightweight & adjustable. I like this brand since it offers gaiters that are lighter and much more comfortable than the others that are available in the market. Most important quality that I like about these gaiters is that they are noiseless. I am sure these gaiters will help you will you are out for hunting too.
I got my snake gaiters from Cabelas.

They are TurtleSkin Snake Armor brand for $150 -- these are top of the line and not cheap.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Tick protection vs snakebite protection are completely unrelated issues.

For tick protection you should --

1 - tuck your trouser cuffs into your boots;

2 - wear long sleeve shirts;

3 - wear a hat;

4 - turn up your collars;

5 - change your clothes every night before bed and put the old clothing into a sealed plastic bag;

6 - sponge bathe with a basin and water and also wet and comb out your hair with a flea comb from a pet store before you hit the sack.

I don't use tick repellant so I don't know if that is any good or not. I generally avoid anything chemical with a scent -- the deer and pigs have long noses with great senses of smell and they will spot you a mile off.

Using the above steps I have washed many a tick off before they could start to bite.

Snake gaiters are not going to protect you from ticks at all -- they will just crawl up your pant leg and climb into your clothes anyway.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use an old pair of fleece gaiters with a waterproof barrier on the inside. I'm guessing I've had then about 10 years give or take. I don't even remember what brand they are or where I go them but since I use to live less than 15 miles from the Cabela's headquarters in Sidney, NE it is a pretty good bet that is where they come from. I've been happy with them but don't know how many more seasons I can squeeze out of them.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I use an old pair of fleece gaiters with a waterproof barrier on the inside. I'm guessing I've had then about 10 years give or take. I don't even remember what brand they are or where I go them but since I use to live less than 15 miles from the Cabela's headquarters in Sidney, NE it is a pretty good bet that is where they come from. I've been happy with them but don't know how many more seasons I can squeeze out of them.
I saw a guy wearing those once. I figured they were quieter than the harder fabrics. I guess they would slow a tick down as well.

I use Deet, and take the basic precautions. I think our uniforms were treated with Permethrin in the service. But I imagine that washes out over time. For those that breach my security, I'll feel one making his way north on my leg while I'm driving home. Then I have to decide if I can make it home in time. Or do I have to pull over hopefully at a a rest stop.

It's tough being an Outdoorsmen.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thanks Wingbone

Just got those winter gaiters this past week from Fleet Farms. Should go good in a slightly warmer winter, but it's still coming winter.
The gaiters are for my partner and me, as we use our low cut hiking shoes in a minus thirty temp, as we make our nearly daily winter hikes.
Thanks again

Last edited by Valentine; 06-19-2015 at 07:24 AM.