Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
summit, api, gorilla or ol' man >

summit, api, gorilla or ol' man

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

summit, api, gorilla or ol' man

Old 08-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default the Impossible Dream

the Impossible Dream

Tree stands are not small, because they would only fit Irish Leprechauns.
Many now have weight limits of 300 lbs and have become heavier over the years.

Tree stands are bulky; they don't fit in every wooded place. How can a 300
lbs. hunter fit a tree stand like a Leprechaun.

Tree stands require ability to climb heights; agility and good balance.
Now that in itself is an impossible dream for many modern hunters.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Valentine
the Impossible Dream

Tree stands are not small, because they would only fit Irish Leprechauns.
Many now have weight limits of 300 lbs and have become heavier over the years.

Tree stands are bulky; they don't fit in every wooded place. How can a 300
lbs. hunter fit a tree stand like a Leprechaun.

Tree stands require ability to climb heights; agility and good balance.
Now that in itself is an impossible dream for many modern hunters.
over on archerytalk forum there is guy who had very bad fall.his name is RDJ-PENCILART.IF YOU HAVE TIME READ HIS STORY OVER THERE.i wear my harness now after his fall.

he is going to use climber stand.UNREAL AFTER FALL HE HAD.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sproulman
so i tried the 180 MAX.that sucker has room on the top and rounded bar gives me lots of knee clearance out front.
I own it and like it a lot. Seats is warm, big and comfy. If you have good straps on any Summit (don't use the ones it comes with they are crap), they will lay flat on your back. I draw in my cables as far as they will go so they don't catch on brush when I pack in.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

I would check out the summit titan....love the one I have.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Switchblade

Summit has come out with The SwitchBlade. If I'm not mistaken it has the same measurement as the Viper But folds flat.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by marquismarc
I would check out the summit titan....love the one I have.
i have TITAN/180MAX .we tested both in yard.
180 max now has TITAN floor.
both are heavier but not much.
180 max you can face tree and it does have more leg room than the titan because of round front bar.

but you have to use seat to climb with 180 MAX or use sling to sit on OR do as i do, i sit on round bar but I HAVE LONG LEGS.short legs you cant do it.

bigger floor on both is plus in winter with heavy clothes on and boots. i have 2009 180 max with the viper floor .

if you dont get enough leverage on the 180 MAX it will slip on a RED OAK tree.sharpen teeth on both and you will be fine.

we climbed a RED OAK while a garden hose was used to wet the tree.we went right up /down without slipping and had to pull the floor out of oak at times.
IF YOU DONT GET MOST LEVERAGE ON BOTH YOU CAN SLIP ON RED OAK.being on bar at front or close as you can is must on RED OAK to keep from slipping.

Last edited by sproulman; 09-10-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Spike

Buy a summit or lone wolf, at least most of theirs is made here.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Spike

I feel like I've answered this question a few times already but here I go. Summit and gorilla are both very good brands. I've been told that the buckle system on the gorilla doesn't wear the best (can't verify didn't see the kind of maintenance that was being kept on the thing) but if you take good care of it I can't see that being a problem.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Summit all the way. I had a api climber about 6 years ago and the summit is a MUCH better design (faster to set up and more stable when climbing) and WAY lighter. If u are under 6 foot a viper would b good. If u are fat(like me) or tall go with goliath. Ive used both and love them. Also, dont b an idiot! Wear your harness the whole time!!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Spike

Default Summit

I have the Razor SS and love it. I have no clue why anyone would want to use a lock on. Summit in my opinion out of your choices is the best. Dont worry about getting hung up.If thats the only thing keeping you from getting the Summit,well .....your letting something minor keep you from a nice stand. Good luck with which ever one you choose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.