Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Making sense out of deer scents! >

Making sense out of deer scents!

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Making sense out of deer scents!

Old 08-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Spike

Default Making sense out of deer scents!

OK, I need help with deer scents, I went to pass pro shop and the guy who says he is a vet hunter, told me to get Buck urine casue I can use it all year long, but that dosent help me out, when do you use buck urine, when do you use doe estus? Should I own both, when do I use one or the other, please help me out, I dont want to waste money nor my time, please help with what to own, use and when to use it..
Old 08-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Spike

ok, so far 10 people have looked at this post, but yet no one knows or can help? If you have any advice at all, it all helps
Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Spike

Buck urine is a territory type scent and is usually used throughout Pre-Rut & during the rut. In theory this scent is meant to lure in mature bucks only but not always. Spray it in and around areas with signs that show another bucks territory but remember this could intimidate a younger buck and he may leave that area. In my opinion this scent is most effective during pre-rut.

During the full swing of the rut, estrus scents are more commonly used. Just because this is more of a wanted scent by a buck at this time of the season. This scent mimics a doe that is ready for mounting and usually thats the only thing on a bucks mind during the rut.

Personally I prefer to just use scent eliminators and cover scents. Ive had just as much success with these if not more in the woods than I do trying to pretend I'm another deer.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Spike

Thank You Very Much
Old 08-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

nothin wrong with using both...if they dont wanna fight..they wanna...well...you know....do it!!
Old 08-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dad - I've been playing with scents for a long time now and I have found that buck unine works the best for me. Especially just before the rut when the buck are getting antsy and the does are not yet in estrus. I usually do not use any scent until around the middle to late October. Like Nontypical says, they get very territorial during this time. Its best not to use the doe in estrus until you actually see the big boys chasing the does. Then you know the rut is on. YOu could actually scare away a nice buck who knows better. The young bucks will start chasing earlier but the does arent ready to breed yet and want no part of them. Sort of the old bull/young bull deal.
Remember, if your in a 'hot' spot, sometimes no scent is the best.