Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Trail Cameras - how good are they? >

Trail Cameras - how good are they?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Trail Cameras - how good are they?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Spike

Default Trail Cameras - how good are they?

I'm thinking about getting a trail camera for deer hunting, but I would like to know how effective they are. I have been reluctant to get one because, to me, it violates the principle of fair chase. But there are many people who swear by them. I just want to get through all the hype and determine if it's a useful tool. Anyone's input about their using them would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally really enjoy using my trail cameras. Originally it was purely for locating deer, movement/feeding patterns and to try and get pics of any bucks I may entertain trying to hunt on that property. It also helps me decide which farm or property Im going to try hunting more in the mornings and which are better afternoon spots. But the last few years Im like a kid on Christmas morning evertime I stick a card in my PC to look at whats showing up. I enjoy checking my cameras almost as much as finding sheds now.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

there worth it but not 200 dollars worth it...you can get a cheap one on ebay for about 50 dollars
Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a trailcam veteren, let me say this to you. They cannot be used to pinpoint a certain animal. Therefore, you cannot consider them a violation of fair chase. They are great for seeing what is on a property and especially effective to see what survived the season. I too, began using them as a way to help scout but like the other poster, it has morphed into it's own hobby. I just want to get great pics of whatever. IMO you have to spend at least $200 to get a decent and reliable cam. If you ever get into it, I predict you will become addicted and have to have more than one camera. Good luck!

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 07-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How good are they; I'm new too

Nobody tries them all, so judge the pictures on the trail cam section of the hunting forums. Great source of picture quality info.

First, most trail cam are not used as trail cams. They mostly photograph deer and feeders. In fact an early feeder company came out with some of the first "trail cams."

Since trail cams cost less than $200, the actual camera part isn't one of those more up to date $300 or $400 cameras. But then what hunter is really looking for high quality art and commercial photographs.

I'm just thinking of using the camera like a scouting aid. Back when I was young I had a lot of buddies. And we would share information on the deer seen. It proved a good reason, sometimes, to just switch areas.

Do I want a day camera or do I want a night camera too that will take pictures not as noticeable by "human visitors." In Canada, I might opt for a less expensive camera with a flash. But then I'll have an inexpensive gps, so I can locate the cam in a couple of days, a small cam in a remote area. (I'm old time on this too -a compass user) My cam won't be hiding by a bigger feeder.

Good luck.

Last edited by Valentine; 07-23-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Diesel77
I personally really enjoy using my trail cameras. Originally it was purely for locating deer, movement/feeding patterns and to try and get pics of any bucks I may entertain trying to hunt on that property. It also helps me decide which farm or property Im going to try hunting more in the mornings and which are better afternoon spots. But the last few years Im like a kid on Christmas morning evertime I stick a card in my PC to look at whats showing up. I enjoy checking my cameras almost as much as finding sheds now.
Thank you for your input. It's greatly appreciated
Old 07-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
As a trailcam veteren, let me say this to you. They cannot be used to pinpoint a certain animal. Therefore, you cannot consider them a violation of fair chase. They are great for seeing what is on a property and especially effective to see what survived the season. I too, began using them as a way to help scout but like the other poster, it has morphed into it's own hobby. I just want to get great pics of whatever. IMO you have to spend at least $200 to get a decent and reliable cam. If you ever get into it, I predict you will become addicted and have to have more than one camera. Good luck!

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Thank you for your reply, I'll definitely keep your fair chase response in mind. I'm definitely leaning towards getting one or two of the cameras now.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Valentine
Nobody tries them all, so judge the pictures on the trail cam section of the hunting forums. Great source of picture quality info.

First, most trail cam are not used as trail cams. They mostly photograph deer and feeders. In fact an early feeder company came out with some of the first "trail cams."

Since trail cams cost less than $200, the actual camera part isn't one of those more up to date $300 or $400 cameras. But then what hunter is really looking for high quality art and commercial photographs.

I'm just thinking of using the camera like a scouting aid. Back when I was young I had a lot of buddies. And we would share information on the deer seen. It proved a good reason, sometimes, to just switch areas.

Do I want a day camera or do I want a night camera too that will take pictures not as noticeable by "human visitors." In Canada, I might opt for a less expensive camera with a flash. But then I'll have an inexpensive gps, so I can locate the cam in a couple of days, a small cam in a remote area. (I'm old time on this too -a compass user) My cam won't be hiding by a bigger feeder.

Good luck.
I'm definitely leaning towards getting one or two trail cameras for this fall and i definitely like your insights about when and where to hunt based on what you see on a property. Your input is greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by macolsen
Thank you for your input. It's greatly appreciated
I'm definitely leaning towards getting one or two trail cameras for this fall and i definitely like your insights about when and where to hunt based on what you see on a property. Your input is greatly appreciated. thanks.