Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Lock on vs. Climber

Old 06-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lock on vs. Climber

What do you guys prefer and why? I am considering purchasing the Ameristep lock on bone collector combo but I am not sure if a climber would be a better choice. So what do you guys prefer?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

Lock on, save your money on the waddel crap and buy a dicks sporting goods brand and rapid rails. 40 bucks apiece for the stands and 40 for the rails.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

Climbers are too noisy for me personally.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
bigcountry

I don't know how a person can hunt public land without a climber. It makes me much more versitile of a hunter. Even in the club I belong. I can hunt 100 yards from a thicket one day and watch what is happening, and then keep moving in targeting where I need to be. Moving a lockon to get into bow range would be even more noisier and troublesome. We have lockons and ladders all over the place.

they work good for gun hunters, but bowhunting, things change too fast during the rut.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Climbers have their draw backs, like noise, and having to find straight trees, big enough to climb, but... the advantage of easily being able change your tree, and position, is defiantly worth the extra work. Setting up hang ons, and screwing in steps or climbing sticks is a PITA, IMO, and can be pretty dangerous unless you use a lineman's belt, and youre pretty much committed to one tree, unless you have multiple hang ons . I hunt exclusively out of climbers for their convenience, and portability. After you get use to it, it becomes second nature. Takes me about 10minutes to attach it to the tree and climb into position, in the dark.The noise doesnt seem to scare the deer away much, and if its got enough silencing tape on it, its hardly an issue.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 06-16-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Climbers are what I use any more, due to public land hunting where lock ons get stolen and screw in steps are illegal. I feel safer in a lock on, and can put one on trees that have low branches. Advantages/disadvantages to each.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

lock ons. i've actually killed deer out of my lock on stands. anytime i take a climber out, i can never find a good straight tree, i make a ton of noise, i sweat like a pig when i'm in the process of climbing, and i haven't found one yet that's as comfortable as the aluminum lock on i bought at a yard sale for $20. oh yeah, and you can actually secure them to the tree, i've slid down several times (once from around 15 feet) in the process of climbing.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Climbers just don't get you where you need to be... Straight limbless trees are generally not near the thick transition zones where big bucks tend to bed... I need to be mobile and be able to set up within 100 yards of bedded bucks quietly in whatever tree I need to be in. L/W alpha hang on and 4 to 5 sticks...

Old 06-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Spike

Climbers is all I use these days. I used to only use hang on until i saw my buddy move trees mid morning to get a little closer to where we were seeing the deer and ended up getting a nice size doe. Each have pros and cons though. If your hunting private land and can leave the stand there then I'd say hang ons. If your like me and hunt public land and have to take your stand in and out each time then a climber is your best option. IMHO
Old 06-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

I thin they both have their places, but I generally use my climber cause i hunt public land mostly and when i hunt private land i always have stands setup any ways. The only drawback with the climber is it can be hard to find a good tree without the branches down low.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.