Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Ground blind VS treestand

Old 06-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ground blind VS treestand

What is better a ground blind or treestand. I am hunting in Maine? Thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

nothing beats a tree stand platform..unless your ground blind is on a hill side overlooking a valley ..i use a tree stand platform 4x6 with roof for deer and bear .. but use a ground blind for moose .

Last edited by heinz57; 06-03-2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: correction
Old 06-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tree stand IMHO. You can see better if the woods are a little open, well made stands are very comfortable, you are out of the direct eye sight of approaching deer, and your scent at least starts out above the ground level.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

In the big woods I would have to say tree stand. I use a ground blind in KS and OK, but only when there are no trees big enough to hang a stand (which is the case where I hunt in KS). Both have their benefits, you can move a lot more in a ground blind than you can in a tree, but your scent is at ground level with the deer and you cannot see as far.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

we build our own tree stands ..platform 4ftx 6ft all enclosed with windows and a roof .aprox. 10 ft. of the ground ..at 66 i am not going to sit in a tree stand 10 ft. of the ground ..comfort is my main concern ...
Old 06-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

I mainly hunt from a treestand but my most memorable hunts have been within 10 feet of deer at eye level in a blind. The first time I had been that close and in a blind made me feel that same rush I had as when I took my first buck with a bow from the tree. It is just more exciting in my opinion and I get more enjoyment out of getting closer to the game I am hunting.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile Up or down?

I like being on the ground but as has been said the tree stand offers a better view of the area your hunting by far and does help you get the drop on the Deer who usually have no clue your there until it's to late. If you choose a tree stand as your main hunting platform be sure to practice shooting from above in different positions siting,standing,twisting etc. because it requires solid form in order to shoot well at the tougher angles. Not many people seem to use Natual cover on the ground to hunt from but I really like finding a spot that can conceal me with little work and which I can leave and use over and over again. The wind determines everything and thats why I use a climbing tree stand,it makes me mobile and able to set up most anywhere I choose is in my favor. I say use both as required by the conditions you find yourself in on any given hunt. Good Hunting!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Again, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Now if you gave a good description of the hunting area(s) and what weapon you planned on using, length of shots, cover thickness, etc, etc, then a guy could possibly give his reasonable .02 cents worth. Without any of that, I'd be taking a blind stab in the dark with sun glasses on... while heavily medicated with some Jack Daniels. LOL!

They each have their advantages and disadvantages... pros and cons. Unless I knew more of the terrain, etc, commenting with anything related to an accurate opinion is a harder task.

iSnipe
Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ISnipe is right.....it depends on the terrain,hunting conditions and what type of Game your Hunting for.

Ground Blinds work great in thick cover,tall grass or on field edges when Turkey Hunting or getting in close to a food plot in a field where there are no tree's nearby to use.Ground Blinds work great in large open food plots when hunting Deer with a Rifle/Gun or even in heavy wooded areas.I like using a ground blind when I take a Youth Hunting,we can get closer to the Game and their movements go more un-detected inside a Blind and You can use comfortable chairs and a heater if it gets too cold or if it rains then your out of the nasty weather.We set up several different types of ladder stands and Blinds when Deer Hunting so we have more options and opportunities depending on the area,the weather and hunting conditions!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Spike

Ive seen many big deer killed out of blinds, and tree stands as well. Its just simply up to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.