Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Warning to FATSOS about deer feeders >

Warning to FATSOS about deer feeders

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Warning to FATSOS about deer feeders

Old 05-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default Warning to FATSOS about deer feeders

I just ordered my first deer feeder last night, hopefully it comes by this weekend.

I got a 30 gallon feeder, which by my calculations will hold about 160 lbs of corn (guesstimated based on the fact that a 50 lb bag of corn is a shade more than two 5 gallon buckets).

So the thing is that the property I am going to set it up on is about 1.5 hours from home, so I want to set my feeder up to go about 3 or 4 weeks between refills. If I set it to throw about 5.5 lbs/day, that is about 4 weeks. If I set it to throw about 7.5 lbs/day, that is about 3 weeks. If I set it to throw about 11.5 lbs/day, that is about 2 weeks.

I am actually setting this up to hunt hogs, and I am wondering if you guys with experience could clue me in to whether 5.5 lbs per day would be enough to keep hogs coming back.

Also, when should I set the timer. It seems to me that since I'll be hunting almost exclusively in the evenings, that I should maybe set it to dispense once about an hour before dark and once about 30 minutes before dark.

Any suggestions?

(apparently you have to title your thread something abrasive to get any responses around here)
Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

I set mine to throw three seconds in the morning and three seconds in the evening. % pounds a day is a lot of corn. Very little will keep them around. Throwing twice that close to dark will encourage them to come at night. The morning throw wether you hunt mornings or not will make them more likely to come in daylight.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
I set mine to throw three seconds in the morning and three seconds in the evening. % pounds a day is a lot of corn. Very little will keep them around. Throwing twice that close to dark will encourage them to come at night. The morning throw wether you hunt mornings or not will make them more likely to come in daylight.
Thanks for the input!

If you had to guestimate the amount of corn thrown in the three-seconds setting, would you say its about a pound?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Thats more or less what weve worked it out to be. Through a highly sophisticated hillbilly technological process we like to call "figgerin" weve determined that our small feeders throw a 50 pound bag in 24 to 26 days.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya want maddd pigs?
they knocked out my feeder, a whole 55 gallon drum hit the ground...look at the pics in my profile, pile of corn lasted, 2 weeks or so...but all the hogs came in!!!!!! and then they kept comin back..but all the years of feeding like your talking about, hardly had any....now we cant get rid of them lol
Old 05-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Try to get corn that is as low percentage moisture as you can get. Higher moisture corn will mold and ferment inside a feeder, especially in the high humidity falls we have in the south. I'm going to try using one of those closet moisture traps in the next feeder I put out to try and eliminate the moisture.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stonewall make sure you use a varmit guard because the coons, squirrels and birds will clean out 160 lbs in no time. Pike

Old 05-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't have the feeder throw too much corn down either...there is plenty of green out there for them to browse on so You don't want to waste any grain either.Another thing to consider is if You get the feeder to go off at certain times your also ringing the dinner bell for Predators to come in and see what Deers show up.

Good Luck Hunting Stonewall...You skinny little f@rt!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try greasing the pipe legs on the feeder and see if the coons can climb them or hang it from a limb with a hand winch.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Try greasing the pipe legs on the feeder and see if the coons can climb them or hang it from a limb with a hand winch.
Yup, greasing the legs worked great for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.