Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scent Lock clothes

Old 06-24-2003, 02:50 PM

Default Scent Lock clothes

I am new to the site and I am sure that this topic has come up before, but I wanted to see if anyone out there uses scent lock clothing.
I am a bowhunter and I had several great bucks bust me this last year because they smelled me before they were in range. I have tried every trick I know from cover scents, nutilizers, event cutting a cedar branch and sticking in a bag with my camo. I guess I am just a smelly son of a gun. Anyway, I wondered if the carbon based fabrics really work. Uncle Ted Nugent swears by them, but I wanted to see if anyone else could share some experiences with me. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2003, 05:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scent Lock clothes

I don' t use Scentlok brand clothing because of the expense , but I do wear Mil issue chemical suits while hunting . They are also carbon lined , and yes they do work . If you' d like to see for yourself , you can buy the chem suits at sportsmansguide.com for $15 . This will give you a cheap opportunity to try carbon clothing . If you like it as much as I do then you can decide whether or not you want to invest in Scentlok . Be forewarned , carbon clothing is an excellent insulator , so temps over 40 degrees can be downright uncomfortable . I can take temps down to 0 degrees with nothing more than pants and a t-shirt under them with insulated boots . Scentlok and others make lighter weight clothing for early season hunting . If you think you have a " smell" problem , try adjusting your diet to eliminate odor causing foods before hunting . You can find info on this at WebMd , but one of the most common " smellers" is caused by drinking the night before . Bathing in scent control products will help a lot . If bucks are busting you by smell you probably aren' t paying attention to the wind either , hunt into the wind where practical .
Old 06-25-2003, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

I' ve worn both Scent-Lok & ScentBlocker Plus.
They have come a long way since my original
Scent-Lok liner suit almost 10 years ago, that
thing felt like it was made out of cardboard[X(].

It will definitely help control human scent if
used properly, but they are not majic. Though
I am a believer and wear one of my suits every
time I go hunting, if a deer gets downwind of me,
especially a mature deer, it' s just a matter of
time before I get winded. They will adsorb a
good deal of human scent, just not all
of it....nothing will.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

What Two Beards said is true ,
if you' re not practicing scent control and hunting with the wind no suit will save you from a whitetail' s nose . A carbon suit is good insurance , but it' s not bulletproof by any measure . I once set up about 75 yds from a bedding area with my chem suit on and the wind in my face . Suddenly , the wind changed and the smell of my persimmons drifted over to the beds . Out walked 4 does , and they were headed right for me . They eventually got within 7 ft of me , and didn' t run until they saw me move . I should point out that I had thoroughly descented myself before going out , and left no skin exposed . In that situation the suit worked like a charm . Another time I was set up and waiting when a small buck came by, but he suddenly bolted into the trees . The wind was blowing toward him at the time , but I was sure he hadn' t smelled me . Had I moved ? Made a sound ? No on both counts . I had showered with a descenting bodywash , including my hair , and descented all my gear . What was it ? Then I saw it , a small gap where the jacket had come out of my belt . It only takes a small amount of scent to alert a deer to danger , and they don' t take chances . Try the chem suit during your cooler season first to keep the cost down , then decide if you want to invest in Scentlok . But don' t forget to practice strict scent control . You' ll never get rid of all of your smell , but scent control makes it much harder for deer to bust you . You can get 10 times closer to them if you don' t smell like trouble .