Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cotton or Polyester Camo?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Question Cotton or Polyester Camo?

I will be bowhunting this year in early season and pre-rut season. September is usually somewhat warm, and October is starting to get near freezing (but nothing like winter).

Anyway I was thinking of getting a long-sleeve camo shirt, camo pants and a light camo jacket (if it gets too cold). I can picture mostly hunting in the shirt and pants. I was also thinking of picking up a bowhunter ghillie suit to break up my outline.

Anyway I noticed when I where cotton shirts vs synthetic shirts there is quite a difference and camo clothing comes in both. Synthetic shirts are good for keeping cool and dry, but they start to stink really bad from use.....even if I still smell good! Then you have to wash in baking soda to get the smell out. Cotton is softer and likes to retain moisture, but it does breath more and doesn't do the weird stink thing that poly does.

By this are there any considerations I need to make for material type when buy camo (and no I am not looking to by a carbon suit)?

Thank you.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Lightbulb

Well, Cotton likes to retain moisture, like you said. The old saying for hikers/hunters is "cotton Kills". Atleast that's what I know. If it's going to be, say, +45 degrees for most of the time, definatly go to cotton, because it will be warm enough you won't get cold. If it's < 35, definatly go with the poly/underarmour/synthetic stuff. It doesn't stink that bad and it will keep you warmer 'cause it lets go of the moisture and doesn't let it cool against your body. In between it's your call. Best of luck,
BigBuck95
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you hunting from a tree and have to hike very little. Cotton!

If you still hunt a lot, hike, etc. Any synthetic garmit works. I have been using a layering system that consists of Enduraskin long sleeve tight fit. Any camo loos fit mesh style long sleeve, then Sitkas outerlayer (basically a thin sweatshirt). I also use the Sitka Acsent pants. I have found this combo to be the best for hunting conditions rangeing from 38/40 - 65-70.

you are going to stink regardless (even if you don't smell it, they game can). If your mobile you must play the wind, period! Poor on the deodarant (i just use the HS stuff) and go.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've gotten away from cotton simply because of the fading factor. The poly stuff is just as soft and breathable. I wash my camo often during the season. I find that it holds it's color far longer than the cotton stuff. In fact I haven't had any noticable fading on any of my poly stuff.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:38 PM
Spike

Definitively agree that cotton is not the way to go. Polyester would be a better choice.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

8 years... c’mon...
Old 10-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto. Figure the OP has probably tried both at some point in the last 8 years. Probably not posting here anymore anyways.