Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Weatherby Vanguard trigger vs timney >

Weatherby Vanguard trigger vs timney

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Weatherby Vanguard trigger vs timney

Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Spike

Default Weatherby Vanguard trigger vs timney

i'm posting this detailed description on a couple sights, and it may subsequently get moved, or deleted with time, but i hope some guys really find it usefull. i'm a tinkerer, i have to tear everything i buy apart and make it just how i like it. keep this in mind, i'm not an actual gunsmith.
this task was not a particular challange, and i hope it will save some guys the $120 on buying the timney trigger replacement and keep them from losing the bolt safety lock feature on the weatherby.

tools: 1 phillips head screwdriver, 1 flathead, a hammer and a 1/16th inch punch. as well as a dremel or other grinder/polisher.

step 1. remove the two screws that hold the stock, floorplate and action together and strip into compents. (image 1)

step 2. remove the one screw holding the trigger assembly to the action, note the pin identified in picture, you'll need a 1/16" punch (image 2).

step 3. partially remove the pin as shown from the trigger assembly being carefull not to drive it into your hand or deep into a piece of wood (image 3).

step 4. grind the face of this block until you eliminate the creep in the trigger (image 4) making sure the safety catch is working as some adjustment in this trigger mechanism won't allow the trigger safety to work. (note image 5) the closer the top block is to the edge of the lower block, the less creep you have. i ended up with a crisp 4 1/2 pound trigger, when i say CRISP, i mean it! no creep, very little over travel. and importantly, you save $120 plus maintain the use of the bolt saftey lock! wich is why i took the timney trigger out of this gun. the factory ended up just as good.

important things to watch when you are grinding the block is mostly just the angle you are grinding the face to. note picture 5 again. also, the amount of contact between the two blocks (too much and the trigger will engage on its own, but you can actually re-adjust that with the tensioner.

if you grind too much of an angle, the trigger may not engage properly. keep it close to square... then polish, polish, polish! a burr on this could end up messing up your day at the range or even worse, end up in a missfire on an animal causing you untold grief. luckily, i can find no real safety concerns with this project, which is why i put it on here.

and as always, if you don't understand, or don't know what to do, have a gunsmith do it.
Attached Thumbnails Weatherby Vanguard trigger vs timney-wt1.jpg   Weatherby Vanguard trigger vs timney-wt2.jpg   Weatherby Vanguard trigger vs timney-wt3.jpg   Weatherby Vanguard trigger vs timney-wt4.jpg   Weatherby Vanguard trigger vs timney-wt5.jpg  

Last edited by nsdemit; 02-09-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: i suck at spelling!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Exellant!!!