Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Hand held GPS unit suggestions.. >

Hand held GPS unit suggestions..

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hand held GPS unit suggestions..

Old 12-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hand held GPS unit suggestions..

The search function turned up nada so I'll make a new post.

I would like to get my hands on a nice little hand held GPS unit to carry out into the brush with me. It doesn't need to be fancy, just functional. What do I need it to do? Well, I'd like to be able to say :

This is camp. This is my stand, how far is it?

This is a nice buck rub, can I mark it so I can find it later in the year?

This little draw funnels the deer through this pasture, how close am I to Earl's stand? Could I set up a tree stand here?

How close to the property line am I?

I saw a big buck here....how close to where I saw him last week?

Optionally...I'd like to be able to stand on a hill and see how high it is and compare that to other points on the property.

Etc, etc. I would just like to be able to plot out points of interest to come back to them and notice things/be able to mark them and measure distances frmo point A to point B, etc. The brush on my property is nasty thick (so long as Earl's dozer stays down for the count, I guess) just the way I like it. I'm a fair woodsman and am not afraid to get lost a while but I'd like to know where I am so I can place my hunting spots a little more strategically next season to avoid the other hunters and the like.

LMK if you have any ideas. I'm going to hit the outdoors big box store this weekend and poke around but I'll be better served to hold off until deer season is done and gone.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Take a look at the Garmin Etrex series. I have a Garmin Venture and a Magellan 100 and both work very well.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Spike

I've used an etrex legend and an etrex vista and i also have a garmin rino 120. all these garmin units are good units. depends on how much you want to spend. for around 150 bucks the legend and vista are very good and easy to use. a more expensive one is the rino but it is easy to use and also has a radio on it.
i hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:30 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Okay understand this - the more you can afford the more the GPS can do. Memory is critical.

Now for a simple GPS you have great references listed above. I use GARMIN and have for quite a few years. Even the Garmin units I use which are no longer sold are still supported and work just fine.

My suggestion based on what you can spend.

I go for one that allows me to use the Micro cards and they are cheap. That way I can load cards for the many areas I hunt. All units will lay the track of where you have been and can be downloaded onto a computer. Garmin Waypoints program helps you do that. I load topo maps in all my Garmin devices. I hae one for my boat, pick-up, dogs, and me. I have one I give to my partner.

For the money I like the Garmin Rino 530 chx, is a color screen, micor chips can be added, is rechargeable via car or home (battery life is excellent), gives you a 5 Watt radio, Weather forecast for the exact area you are in is instant. Has lots of other features such as back trak, go to, and solunar phases,

I also suggest the Garmin 100K Topo program. You said you wanted to keep track of ridges where you have been and where you would like to go in the future.
Well the Topo program will allow you to download area maps into any Garmin unit you buy.
The beauty of this program is - once back home and uploading where you have been from your Gps TO your computer - You can add Google Earth and see exactly where you have been. Using the Topo and then seeing a real picture of the terrain and where you have walked is to me very useful.

I have an example picture and will upload it soon.....

JW
Old 12-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome! Thanks for the advice!

I'm going to get out thise weekend and see if I can take a look at some of these Garmin devices yall have mentioned.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 AM
JW
Super Moderator

When an if you choose I have bought relibly from e-bay.

I buy only new that has a guarantee and have not been disapointed.

I saved a bunch.

Accesories are sometimes cheaper direct from the Garmin store. One can ot buy the GPS unit from them but you can buy accesories.

JW
Old 01-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Spike

Reviewers say that the Garmin eTrex Venture HC offers the most bang for the buck for those looking for a low-cost handheld GPS receiver. Unlike other inexpensive handheld GPS receivers, the eTrex Venture HC comes with a color screen and a high-sensitivity signal processor. The memory, though limited to just 24 MB, can save up to 10 tracks, 50 routes and 500 waypoints. You won't find features such as a barometric altimeter or a compass at this price point, of course, though some higher-end -- and equally liked -- members of the eTrex series, such as eTrex Summit HC (*Est. $175) add those and are equally competent. The included maps aren't the most detailed, reports say, but you can add other maps (at a price, of course) if you find it insufficient for your needs. If you have a bigger budget, the DeLorme PN-40 (*Est. $340) has unbeatable accuracy, tons of high-end features, and access to terrific maps, but mastering all of its power takes more of a commitment from its user.
====================
no win no fee
Appraiser Legacy List
Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree the DeLorme Earthmate has a lot of features that I use up here. You can use different SD cards to keep track of other projects with as well. Some of the features if you enjoy fishing can give you some of the depths you are planning on fishing in. There is a lot of options with the Earthmate line of GPS systems.. You can mount it to a boat, atv, or what have you and it can give you the speed your traveling as well.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

I use a Garmin Summit HC and a program called Terrain Navigator. I can download my tracks and waypoints and study the terrain of the areas I hunt on.

I also order maps from MyTopo.com. they are laminated foldable maps and you can order photos also. You can transfer the data from the program on to the maps for field reference, or studying them at home.

Another thing I utilize is he UTM grid instead of the Latitude Longitude system. It is easier and much more accurate.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Garmin E-Trex Venture HC. It has performed very well.

Before I purchased one I searched online and was able to find one for about $110.
Something to consider...according to Garmin the color screened models have longer battery life than the black and white screened models. On a personal note the color screened models are easier to view.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.