Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Can anyone recommend me a handheld cb radio? >

Can anyone recommend me a handheld cb radio?

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Can anyone recommend me a handheld cb radio?

Old 12-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can anyone recommend me a handheld cb radio?

So I need a good handheld cb radio. Any suggestions?

Last edited by hometheaterman; 12-13-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Well - for radios I use the Garmin 530 chx.

Why?
I can talk to anybody with any radio and it is 5watt
It has instant weather where ever I am at no matter what state
it has GPS and mapping capabilities and I can download topo maps to it.

And is water proof!

Rino 530HCx -
Rino 530HCx is a waterproof FRS/GMRS radio plus GPS navigator with 5 watts of transmit power, brilliant color display, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, ...

JW

Last edited by JW; 12-13-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

So can you actually talk to people with cb's with that radio?

Last edited by hometheaterman; 12-13-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Spike

I love the cobra micro talk
Old 12-16-2009, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hometheaterman View Post
So can you actually talk to people with cb's with that radio?
Yes you can! BREAKER BREAKER 19, What's your 20 com'on!

For hunting

It will be the last hunting radio you will ever buy. I use the very same one and it is my most used piece of equipment I use for hunting. Next to my weapons anyways!!!

The GPS is the best for setting way points for like when you are hunting or scouting new area's and you want to remember certain spots. You can upload the data to Virtual Earth or Google Earth and add your tracks so you can view where you plotted these WP. Helps me make sense of a new area real quickly. Then I have a better idea where to put stands. No more does it take me one or two seasons to figure a hunting area out. It's really a no brainer. I can hunt anywhere on earth that I have never been knowing I will not get LOST! No more compass readings! Battery last me 3-4 (8-10 hrs) days before needing to be charged.

Garmin 530 Rhino is the best!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Garmin 530 Rhino????

No you can't Breaker Breaker....
The Garmin 530 Rhino is a FMS/GMRS radio.
Looked at the Garmin Website for this radio and the spec sheet states its a FRS and GMRS radio with 22 channels. That is standard FMS & GMRS. It doesnt say anything about being CB frequency capable. Reason I'm chiming in is because I too am looking for a good hand held CB. I've already got a good Midland FRS/GMRS radio and you gotto be careful with those, because if you use the GMRS channels you need a FCC License.

Alex
Old 12-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Flippinstk View Post
No you can't Breaker Breaker....
The Garmin 530 Rhino is a FMS/GMRS radio.
Looked at the Garmin Website for this radio and the spec sheet states its a FRS and GMRS radio with 22 channels. That is standard FMS & GMRS. It doesnt say anything about being CB frequency capable. Reason I'm chiming in is because I too am looking for a good hand held CB. I've already got a good Midland FRS/GMRS radio and you gotto be careful with those, because if you use the GMRS channels you need a FCC License.

Alex
Yep your right, my bad!

Not thinking, they are different frequencies. When scanning channels a couple of times I must of thought what I was hearing on ch19 were truckers. At least they sounded like truckers!

Sorry for the bad information hometheaterman
Old 12-20-2009, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

With the Cell phone wave going on, nobody I know uses hand held radios anymore!! We use to all use them as well years ago, but the range was limited and if you were hunting behind a ridge, you couldn't get a signal!!! Stick with your cell phone and have it on vibrate only!! Texting is the bomb and you don't have to talk!!
Old 12-20-2009, 04:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by maytom View Post
With the Cell phone wave going on, nobody I know uses hand held radios anymore!! We use to all use them as well years ago, but the range was limited and if you were hunting behind a ridge, you couldn't get a signal!!! Stick with your cell phone and have it on vibrate only!! Texting is the bomb and you don't have to talk!!

what if you hunt in areas without signal?

check yard sales and such, I have picked up many for under $5

radio shack carries one that is decent as well..
Old 12-21-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Same problems as mentioned above. When Hand held radios first came out they were a 1 mile range, now you see them listed at 18 miles!!! Big deal, they still can't be heard or work if your behind a ridge!! Yes, on flat ground with nothing in the way, such as a clover field, you might. I realize that in certain areas, a signal might not let your cell get through. But, that's a rare case these days with all the new cell towers going up!!