Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

UV rays?

Old 05-26-2003, 03:15 PM

Default UV rays?

I was wonderong what all UV elimator sprays/products yall are using. I really didnt think anything about that UV spectrum this season. Maybe thats why I didnt see much. [:' (] I guess I' ll try some this year and see. I figured the new camo i bought right before the season last year wouldnt contain any UV rays, but i guess i may be wrong. What UV killers are you using?
Thanks
Old 06-24-2003, 04:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: UV rays?

The recent issue of Field and Stream has an article called " What deer see" that contains a section about UV . The article says that while deer can probably see the lower end of the UV spectrum since they see blue the best , it may not spook them as much as previously speculated . I' ve personally walked to within feet of a bedded buck without jumping him while wearing ordinary clothing washed in a popular detergent containing UV brighteners . The buck didn' t run until I got too close for comfort , and nearly made me sh** myself ! I still use Sportwash for my hunting clothes since I like to eliminate as many excuses as possible .
Old 06-24-2003, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

That was a good article in the lastest Field and Stream on the sight of deer. Surprised to learn that they do see blues.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:15 AM
Dominant Buck

The research I' ve seen says deer vision is comparable to a human who is red-green colorblind , and they see mostly blue , yellow , and gray . They see blue best , which would make jeans a poor choice for hunting . They also have little or no depth perception because of where their eyes are mounted on their skull . This might explain why they have trouble seeing you when you don' t move . It does , however , give them a visual field of view that allows them to see trouble coming from any direction without turning their heads . I was intrigued by these findings since it suggests that nearly anything which breaks up your outline could be considered effective camo . I once saw a b&w photo of a guy in a hawaiian shirt who nearly disappeared into the background simply because of the pattern on the shirt . If he had been hunting at the time a deer would never have noticed him . The color photo showed his shirt was colored in reds , yellows , and greens . I' ll bet the folks at Mossy Oak would hate for that to be common knowledge ! [>:]
Old 07-01-2003, 01:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a natural Baking Soda Detergent, that does not have brighteners added to it. I double rinse my clothes and hang dry them inside out in direct sunlight (if possible). I don' t use a UV wash and don' t think i need to either, as I have never had a problem with game spooking (provided I was concealed, movement minimal and good backing). I use predator style camo and believe in outline breakup as one key. However the 2 most important things are movement and backing. Some guys way over limb their trees when setting up the stand I prefer to leave as much as possible and side saddle into the stand, as opposed to going up the back. I also wear a white base pattern, with shades of black, grey and browns as my camo when hunting in the trees. I avoid green (unless hunting the pines), brown based camo patterns or dark base patterns while perched in a tree. The ground I basically try and use either white or brown based patterns, depending on the terrain. (my favorite patterns for a tree are: predator winter white and fall grey & on the ground: predator fall brown, fall grey and deception)