Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Lone Wolf Stands: Worth The Extra $$? >

Lone Wolf Stands: Worth The Extra $$?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Lone Wolf Stands: Worth The Extra $$?

Old 10-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lightweight????????? 24 lbs with a set of 4 sticks attached is not lightweight IMO. I have the Alpha hang on and a set of 4 LW sticks and one Muddy stick. Wish the Muddy sticks were longer. As far as the stand, easy to hang, that's about it IMO and way overpriced.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My advance studies

It's good. The amount of study one can do on tree stands, on the internet, these days. And I'm just starting.

Yes, the price increase startled me as an "old timer". But one pays for recent engineering and for the new harness system. The harnesses are called by this company, if I got this right, a "fall arrest system" and come with every tree stand. (It's gotten real expensive for multiple users) I'm afraid the newer expensive tree stands and safety systems will put a lot of younger and newer hunters out of the tree climbing business.

At present, I'm satisfied with my old one. I've made "quiet" improvements over time and put some plain new old foam in the seat and back, to be able to sit for hours.

But time moves on and thanks for the comments. Got to update.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by CamoCop
ok here's what i don't understand. every good thing mentioned above i can also say about Summit's. Summit's are all welded, making them quiet in the woods, light weight, rock solid, comfortable AND $100-$150 cheaper than Lone Wolf's. ya'll keep buying those over priced LW's and leave the Summit's for me!
I can agree that for the money the summit line is well worth it. but the LW climber is not made of hollow aluminum its solid. so, even though they are very quiet to put on and climb,that large cumbersome summit will sound like a wind chime if knocked against a branch or worse yet your bow. If your in the market for a cheap yet reliable climber go summit but if you want the best of all of the above LW hands down.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rickmur
Lightweight????????? 24 lbs with a set of 4 sticks attached is not lightweight IMO. I have the Alpha hang on and a set of 4 LW sticks and one Muddy stick. Wish the Muddy sticks were longer. As far as the stand, easy to hang, that's about it IMO and way overpriced.
I also have the alpha hang on with the LW sticks and it can get a little heavy at times. some personal improvements id make to you setup is some padded camo tree stand carrying straps made by Allen. ($8 at wall mart) also some folding tree pegs, maybe 1 or 2. they replace the need for a fourth stick unless you are hunting public land there-in illegal.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

I bought the LW Alpha climber last year used it for two hunts and put it away for the rest of the season. It did not work for me because:

Where I hunt I don't have to go long distances and I have lock on's mounted for the pinch points I regularly hunt so weight is not a big deal for me. The belts really bite the tree almost to the point it makes climing hard. On rough bark the belts get hung up and sometimes they will twist making your job harder. The alpha climber has you at a weird angle on the upper portion which makes transferring your weight harder. The seat is painfull for long hunts and not very roomy for us larger sized hunters. I did like the platform though, rock solid and quiet. If I could have sold just the top part and got half my money back I would have kept the platform but then it did not pack well with my Summit so it went to someone else who probably has sold it to someone else. IMO they are too overpriced, you are paying for an extruded platform with top portion that needs a lot of work.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a big Summit fan, but only for their climbers. The Summit Copperhead that I have is supposed to be easily moved from tree to tree just leave the hanging strap and hook in the various trees. That much about the Copperhead is true.

However, the Copperhead pops upon movement. It is really loud for the first few sits and stands then kinda lightens up. I can't figure out where it comes from. There is a little metal to metal contact, but putting my spare gloves in between didn't help.

Bottom line is do not buy the Copperhead. Mine is going to be sold! Hello, Lone Wolf - maybe?????

To me - quiet is everything. I can handle uncomfortable for a long while. But, have that f'in stand squeak when the bruiser is right there and you just ruined it all. I can get comfortable at home after I get the deer.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:56 AM
Spike

Have you considered a Viper Summit climber?

I had a GanderMTN hang on tree stand that broke on me (as I was testing it like I do before each hunt the clip broke and down we went (fortunately I had my harness and was facing the tree)) and I took it back to Gander and without much fuss on my part they gave me 50% off a new stand of my choosing.

I figured I would get another hang on (but NOT a gander product) and once I started looking I decided heck, why not, and sprung for the Summit Viper SS.

To this day I consider it one of the better hunting purchases I have made (nothing will EVER top my first 870). Heres what I like about it:
  1. It is quiet. Both when Im in it and when I carry it in
  2. It is light. MUCH lighter than my considerably smaller Hang on
  3. It is SUPER comfortable. I can and do sit in it for full days
  4. It has a "swing like" seat so its almost like being in a hammock. No hard platform to sit on
  5. It is very sturdy. I would have no problem taking this stand 20 or more ft up (though I don't). It has teeth that dig into the tree when you stand on it so even if the cables were to slide the stand would not
  6. The teeth also prevent it from squeeking against the tree when you move around
  7. It has a nice ring or rail around the front to hold you in which doubles as a way to hang camo burlap as a curtain of sorts (which allows you to move your feet without being seen)
  8. The seat height is adjustable which is great for those of us who bow hunt and rifle hunt because you can raise it up for bow hunting and lower it and use the rail around you as an arm rest for your rifle

You can get them for $280 new and they come with a comfortable harness. I HIGHLY recommend them.

Here's a link to them: http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...summit%20viper

However, don't forget to support your local hunting store. A few extra dollars that will stay in the local area is money well spent.

As a once marketing major in college (thank god I changed majors) you learn that at the very ends of the pricing spectrum (both high and low) the seller is normally using price point selling tactics. Basically, that is, they know people will buy their product because it is the most expensive or the cheapest. More so at the high end, the most expensive items are not much better and if you do get any added benefit for the extra money spent its from stuff you dont need (e.g. lone wolf stands have that funny looking zig zag pattern on the platforms). What it boils down to is they know they want to have a very high priced product and they have to find ways to "justify" that price.

Typically the best thing you can do is purchase at the high end of the middle of the spectrum. You get all the same benefits without paying for the added frizz and promotion. These items are normally in a more mature stage in the product life cycle and are selling based on reputation and product quality not promotion and price point.

Using this logic you'll probably find yourself looking at the Summit stuff.

Anyways thats my 2 cents. Best of luck with your endeavors
Old 10-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

I have a lone wolf sit an climb,very nice but I am getting to old to be using a climber, That said for $200 I will sell it, It has never been in the woods only the yard. I live in Central wi. I don't want to ship and really don't care if I sell it. It doesn't eat
Redclub
Old 10-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Prices going up on Stands

To me I see two factors - one is engineering and the other is the new added safety factors and more expensive harnesses and other safety ropes and belting.

A lot like cigarettes. With time. safety factors are making them more expensive, plus any new engineering work and expensing their cost in higher prices.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Spike

I've been using my LW Assault for the last 3 seasons, and it is by far the best stand that I've hunted from. I too, use the climbing sticks. I bought three sets, two full size sticks and one set of the mini-sticks. Gave one full set to my dad after he borrowed mine and fell in love with the concept (he use to swear by the old screw-in tree steps). I used to remember the days where I dread packing my 25-30 lbs. steel climbers far into the woods.

Is the LW worth the extra money? It was a while back. But with the recent price increase, I'm not so sure anymore.

What I like: quiet, light-weight, and fast set up (what every one else have said).

What I HATE: the seat!!!!! the only thing that I would change about the assault is the seat. It didn't take me long to realize that an all day hunt is going to be painful. I've used some cushions and pads that helps, but it is still hurts.