Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Snakes

Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Spike

Snakes I am not a fan of them. I wouldn't even consider rubber boots. It's better to be save then sorry so spend the $ and stay safe.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Spike

Rubber boots-----NOT HARDLY.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bryant1
I wear the snake proof 'rubber' boots from Cabelas. As many poisionous snakes as I see I won't walk in the woods without a pair of snake proof boots on.

x2.....best of both worlds
Old 10-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Spike

Default Snakes?

Well let's look at some facts here. First did you know that a snake can and will bite through a car or truck tire? Yes it is true and I can attest tothe fact myself as I have seen it first hand. My grandfather, God rest his soul, had an International Scout some years ago with brand new Kelly mud tires on it and we drove by a rattlesnake that bit into the tire. We thought it just struck it til we stopped and out tire was slowly going flat, especially after we got back to camp and removed the head from the tire. The snake had bit through quite a bit of rubber and that was very impessive. 2nd, I was bitten after stepping out of my truck as I was in a hurry and parked my truck door towards the side of the road rather than the middle. I stepped out, went to grab my rifle and BAM, I was hit and knew exactly what it was. It was about 5' in length and 2" in girth. I never felt sick or needed medical attention only because the snake had very previously eaten a small rodent and hadn't rejuvinated enough venom to hurt me. I was very lucky as it should have been a lot worse. Adult snakes are venomous, but the younger ones are far more dangerous as they can replenish venom a lot quicker and have no control of how much venom they inject into you. Now Copperheads, smaller ones, have to sort of chew on you for a few seconds to break into the skin and do the damage. Either way, snakes are dangerous and they should be exterminated upon sighting. I walked up on quite a few rattlesnakes, Cane break or Timber Rattlers as they are properly called. I shoot them on site and the one that bit me, 19 rattles. Did you also know that the Rattle holds very dangerous liquid inside that will bling you if it comes into contact with your eyes? Yes, so if you let your child touch or handle the rattle explain the dangers and educate them. We are so vulnerable in so many ways, hell just walking out of your house in the morning is dangerous. So why take any chances, don't play around with snakes, try to **** them off with sticks, etc.. Take them out right then and there. Be safe, be alert and be aware. Good luck hunting.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Spike

I stepped out, went to grab my rifle and BAM, I was hit and knew exactly what it was. It was about 5' in length and 2" in girth. I never felt sick or needed medical attention only because the snake had very previously eaten a small rodent and hadn't rejuvinated enough venom to hurt me.

Actually, it was probably a dry bite. It's estimated that something like 3/4 of rattlesnake bites on humans are dry, and inject no venom. And there's a reason why even with 30 pound dogs they don't pump in antivenon until major symptoms show.

In in the last couple decades rattlesnakes are warning less and less, I'm beginning to think that my children will just have to never go near a snake, because rattlers just aren't going to warn (and be killed for doing so) anymore.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by sdprice1
Just wondering if anyone knows if regular insulated rubber boots are snake bite proof or not. I use rubber boots to hunt in and I saw my first rattlesnake yesterday and that sparked my curiosity thanks for any help you can give.

Scott
These Rubber Boots will!

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0036167830748a.shtml