Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

gutting knife ques...

Old 09-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default gutting knife ques...

For years i have been using cheap knives to gut deer in the field. (only did one deer so far) I am looking to get a better knife that will last longer and work better. I am not planning on spending much because i believe a good knife can be had for under $75 for this use. It must be fixed blade for me.

Looking for opinions on;

what do you guys suggest as far as blade length for field dressing deer. I have seen suggestions on 4" blades but for some reason that seems to be too much but then again maybe not.

what type of blade style "drop point" "clip" etc...

and if anyone can suggest a knife let me know.

right now i use whatever i find in my pack. Usually it's a clip point fixed knife which i am not to pleased with. The blade gets dull quickly, and the thickness was way too much.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Um if you've only gutted one deer with your knife I dont understand why you already need a new one.

But if your going to get another I advise getting a fixed blade, so it doesn't close on you while gutting.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

this will be my 35th rifle season. I still use a cheap thin lightweight folding pocket knife. I do this for a few reasons. I like to keep the weight down cuz I walk a long way and if it ends up staying in the woods (my last one is stuck in a tree in the middle of nowhere in northern Minn. ) it's no big loss.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.bearandsoncutlery.com/ind...roducts_detail

http://www.bearandsoncutlery.com/ind...roducts_detail

Either of these will work...I bought the top one at an ACE Hardware store for $24.95...It looks like the old Schrade Sharp Finger which was a good knife but they are made in China now...
This knife is a great deal and has good metal in the blade...

Bear Cutlery is in Alabama...Any knife with a 3 inch clip or drop point works well, I've done several with a Buck Squire (2 1/2 inch) drop point that I keep in my pocket...
Old 09-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

no stainless steel blade for me .they don't stay sharp and have to be sharpened all the time ..a 4" long blade carbon steel with a good rockwell will rust but it will stay sharp for a long time ..

if u ever get up north check to see what the guides use to skin and cut up BIG GAME ...

Last edited by heinz57; 09-23-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have also used these...

http://www.anzaknives.com/
Old 09-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's what I use;

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Hope this helps
Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a cheap Remington skinner with a gut hook. It works just fine. I also have an Outdoor Edge butcher kit but I only use that when I'm at home separating all the meat.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Cabelas guide spirit.it is made buy Buick knives and it has a blade made of boss 5300 steel. This may cost more than what you would like but it is by far one of the strongest knives on the market. I have field dressed about 10 deer with it over the last 5 years and it is by far the toughest knife Cabelas sells(at least it was when I bought it) Just make sure what ever fixed blade you buy it must remain in it's sheath when not being used.
Doug
Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

I like a carbon steel fixed blade with gut hook on tip...ya you can use your two finger tips to lift up belly skin....but damn that hook is fast...AND IMO....blade should be at least 4-4.5" min. I say this so when your cutting around the bung hole...your getting ALL of the skin so...when you pop open the inside...that area should be done or req minimal trimming at least...any shorter and your just cutting twice inside and out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.