Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
What safety system do you recommend when using a climber? >

What safety system do you recommend when using a climber?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What safety system do you recommend when using a climber?

Old 08-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Spike

Default What safety system do you recommend when using a climber?

I have a Hunters Safety System Vest.I bought my HSS about 5 years ago.Mine does not have the side loops to use with the lineman's Belt.
This will be my first year using a climber,so any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did the climber come with a harness? If so, I would just use that.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never used a linemans belt with my climbers before. I have always hooked my safety rope as usual and moved it up the tree as I climb.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Spike

Each tree stand will have its own set of requirements, so be sure to check out the instructions and safety information before trying it out. You can look them up online or contact the manufacturer for help.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Spike

So would you you use your teather strap and tree belt,then move the tree belt up as you work the climber up the tree?
Being that this will be my first year using a climber,I'm a little worried and want to be a safe as possable when using it.
In the Cabela's catalog it says there lineman's belt will work on any Hunter Safety System vest.Well there wrong if you have the older model.Mine does not have the safety loops to connect the linemans belt.Has anyone else had this problem?Thanks for your help.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dvallilee
So would you you use your teather strap and tree belt,then move the tree belt up as you work the climber up the tree?
Being that this will be my first year using a climber,I'm a little worried and want to be a safe as possable when using it.
In the Cabela's catalog it says there lineman's belt will work on any Hunter Safety System vest.Well there wrong if you have the older model.Mine does not have the safety loops to connect the linemans belt.Has anyone else had this problem?Thanks for your help.

That is exactly how I climb a tree. What kind of climber did you buy?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Use a short tether and a prussic knot similar to those provided with Summit stands. Just connect the prussic to your tether on the HSS. It's very easy to move the rope up as you climb and much safer then a lineman's belt. I wish I had some photos to post.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WhitetailsInc.info
Use a short tether and a prussic knot similar to those provided with Summit stands. Just connect the prussic to your tether on the HSS. It's very easy to move the rope up as you climb and much safer then a lineman's belt. I wish I had some photos to post.

Lone Wolf tree stands has a video section on their website that briefly shows someone using a system similar to what the above poster stated.

I picked up a HSS Treewalker version a few days ago. After trying it on I quickly returned to the store I bought it from. Lets just say the leg straps put pressure in places that was not very comfortable. I shiver to think of what would happen in the event of a fall. My SOP harness from Summit is much more comfortable, even though it can be a pain to put on.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I attach the safety strap around the tree as soon as step into the climber and am ready to ascend. I keep the loop a tad loose just for ease of sliding it up the trunk as I go ... but not too loose as to prevent it from stopping my fall. Takes a few more minutes than not staying attached, but is well worth the effort. Do the revers on my way down. Keep the loop around the tree and slide it down as I decend.