Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Portable Tree Stand

Old 08-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Portable Tree Stand

I was thinking of getting a tree stand. I've never used one before, mostly because I hunt public land and didn't want to lug one around.

Well, I'm looking for a light weight, easy to set up, portable stand. If I could find one in a decent price range, that is easy to set up and carry in, I figure it's time to try one.

I typically hike about 3 to 5 miles when I hunt. Carry a butt pack style pack, and like to keep my load out to around 30 lbs. Wouldn't mind adding 10 lbs or so for a good stand.

I've looked at several, but I'm new to these things and wondered if anyone here had any good suggestions.

Obviously, I can't leave it up year round. So I'd like one that I could put up quickly and quietly. Lockable, so I can leave it for the week or so that I'm hunting. And is designed to be humped around the woods. And, of course, I'd like it to be of good quality and durable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Thumbs up

Summit OpenShot Deluxe climber, it weighs 15 lbs and costs about $230. It's great for bowhunting, and an excellent all around choice for a packable stand.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
Old 08-28-2009, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

you are not goin to find any set up at ten lbs. i was goin to suggest a light hang on and some screw in steps but 99% of public land i have looked at restricts any bark piercing object. And you are not goin to want to lug a stand and sticks3-5miles! therefore i believe a climber is your only real option.as kevin stated the open shot deluxe by summit is only 15 lbs. Summits viper ss is 20lbs and offers more options/comfortability as well. Lone Wolf makes a climber as well thats light-not sure what it is tho. They are however very pricey-300+ dollars. I myself plan on hunting public land alot this year as well and having to hike alot to get away from the crowds and i chose to get the viper ss and put some comfy backpack straps on it.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I want to go light, as far as tree stand choices, I use a set of utility pole climbers. Not the cheap stuff some outdoor stores sell; top end pole climbers. I have two sets of spikes that can be interchanged. These climbers have a solid steel bar that rides the along the inside of calf to just below your knee. Very stable. With belt/tree loop, under ten pounds. With a light weight strap on seat, almost any tree with a branch becomes a stand. I was fortunate to have a couple of relatives who did this for a living- telephone/gas & electric workers- and they passed theirs on to me. Keep your eyes open at flea markets and rummage sale. These do not penetrate through inner bark of most trees, particularly pine/oak.

Last edited by crokit; 08-28-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by crokit
When I want to go light, as far as tree stand choices, I use a set of utility pole climbers. Not the cheap stuff some outdoor stores sell; top end pole climbers. I have two sets of spikes that can be interchanged. These climbers have a solid steel bar that rides the along the inside of calf to just below your knee. Very stable. With belt/tree loop, under ten pounds. With a light weight strap on seat, almost any tree with a branch becomes a stand. I was fortunate to have a couple of relatives who did this for a living- telephone/gas & electric workers- and they passed theirs on to me. Keep your eyes open at flea markets and rummage sale. These do not penetrate through inner bark of most trees, particularly pine/oak.
for years i used pole spikes just as you are talking about(like the electric co. uses) and i dont know what you have but mine tore up trees!!! Esp. pine,poplar,maple birch,etc. with thin bark. i would be SHOCKED if these were allowed on public land. Trees that i climbed five years ago are still torn up from me climbing up and down day after day. Not to mention if you have not climbed with these before you mite have a problem. There is a knack to climbing with spikes and not everyone can do it or is comfortable with it. I agree they r the ultimate in mobility tho!!
Old 08-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Spike

I found a Goriila hanging stad at a sporting goods auction a couple years ago. Still in box and think I payed $25-30 for it. It was an older style and smaller. Think box stated it weighs 18 lbs. It cam with full harness and the extra strap to assist climbing. Will check online see if I can find the exact model name. Not 10 lbs but not over 20 I don't think and its semi easy to set up. And not a treee ripper like the spikes these guys talked about. And no need for screw steps either. Will look now for the exact model. You may have to look some places like ebay or even classifieds to find 1 though. Don't know if you can get 1 from a company that has 1 in stock still.

Another thing to hang you only need attatch 1 chain to a hook so pretty simply once you get it where you want to hang it.

Ok I think I have the older model Baby gorilla. But they now make a Silverback Scout. pretty much the same design. But this 1 weighs only 9 lbs and says comes with pack straps. I didn't catch a price cuz its on the Gorilla website not a store site. Maybe check the 3 major online pro shops. Check which carries Gorilla products. Hope it helps

Last edited by talonfoe; 08-28-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks fellas.

That Open Shot looks like what I'm looking for.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

114, If light weight and packablity is paramount you will have to look toward Lonewolf,, however they aren't cheap.

If you want the next best thing but not as costly look toward the summit series. However the most packable model is no longer in production but can be occasionally found used on line. They are called the "Backpacker" model and fold flat, weigh the same as the standard but collapse.

I have hunted both the LW and the Backpacker. LW is about 4-5#s lighter, folds slightly flatter, but isn't as comfortable as the Summit once on the tree.

If you check out stand reviews which there are plenty on all the sites you will find LW or Summit leading the way. I recently spoke with the folks at Summit regarding the no longer produces backpacker and they are apparently preparing to release and competely new model in 2010. He wouldn't give details but is sounds like LW's packablity and lite weight may have company comming.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:19 AM
Spike

Equalizer is my stand choice for 3 years now