Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Opinions sought for new product idea >

Opinions sought for new product idea

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Opinions sought for new product idea

Old 07-15-2009, 07:58 AM

Default Opinions sought for new product idea

First off, thanks for taking a look at this post. I've developed a wearable blanket product, and would like your opinion as to whether you think it would appeal to hunters.

The product is currently designed for sports fans who attend football games in cold weather here in Cleveland. With the aid of 2 sets of zippers and a D-ring closure system, the 3-ply blanket totally envelops the wearer in a cocoon-like pocket of protection from the elements, but still permits him to walk around and use his hands to operate a weapon. The product is very warm, and is also waterproof and windproof. Photos of the football version of the product can be seen at www.game-wrap.com.

Someone asked whether I offer the product in a camoflauge design for use by hunters. He told me that the product would be great for hunting. To be honest, I've never hunted (please don't hold it against me), so it's hard for me to gage its usefulness for this activity. Seems to me that it would get pretty cold while still hunting or stand hunting, and that a wearable blanket in camo might be well received. What do you guys think? Your thoughts, opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Times are tough these days, and I really can't afford taking any (more) financial missteps.

I've come up with this camo design. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Opinions sought for new product idea-img_1802myfavpaint1.jpg  

Last edited by Gapwedge; 07-24-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: to add camo design
Old 07-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I hope you did a patent search first, I purchased a nearly identical item for my wife from a Sportsman's Guide catalog several years ago. Mine was plaid rather than sports oriented, but it unzipped/unsnapped into a blanket like yours.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:54 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did, and there are no patent problems.

I recently came accross the plaid product you bought your wife. It's a nice looking product, but not suitable for outdoor use. My product is much heavier, waterproof and windproof.

Do you think it would be useful to hunters?
Old 07-16-2009, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I remember several years ago a product kinda like this. Except for it had suspenders up at the top. This allowed you to slip your arms out and the blanket would drop out of your way when you stood to shoot. Always wanted one, but never tried it. The thought of trying to get the thing on while standing on a 2x2 platform, 20' in the air, did not appeal to me. Nonetheless, it might be a stretch, but sometimes you got to take risks owning a small business.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gapwedge
First off, thanks for taking a look at this post. I've developed a wearable blanket product, and would like your opinion as to whether you think it would appeal to hunters.

The product is currently designed for sports fans who attend football games in cold weather here in Cleveland. With the aid of 2 sets of zippers and a D-ring closure system, the 3-ply blanket totally envelops the wearer in a cocoon-like pocket of protection from the elements, but still permits him to walk around and use his hands to operate a weapon. The product is very warm, and is also waterproof and windproof. Photos of the football version of the product can be seen at www.game-wrap.com.

Someone asked whether I offer the product in a camoflauge design for use by hunters. He told me that the product would be great for hunting. To be honest, I've never hunted (please don't hold it against me), so it's hard for me to gage its usefulness for this activity. Seems to me that it would get pretty cold while still hunting or stand hunting, and that a wearable blanket in camo might be well received. What do you guys think? Your thoughts, opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Times are tough these days, and I really can't afford taking any (more) financial missteps.
It looks like what the indains wear in the old cowboy shows.
And I think it would be Great for hunting, as long as the cost is reasonable.
It would be great for turkey hunters also, add something to keep the ticks off.
Add scent lock technolagy to it and you would have a winner in my book.

JMHO
Old 07-16-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
I remember several years ago a product kinda like this. Except for it had suspenders up at the top. This allowed you to slip your arms out and the blanket would drop out of your way when you stood to shoot. Always wanted one, but never tried it. The thought of trying to get the thing on while standing on a 2x2 platform, 20' in the air, did not appeal to me. Nonetheless, it might be a stretch, but sometimes you got to take risks owning a small business.
Interesting stuff. Thanks. I wasn't aware of the suspendered product described.

How do hunters climb up into a tree stand? A rope ladder? If so, the Game-Wrap product allows the wearer use of his arms and legs and, therefore, can be put on while on the ground and worn while climbing up to the stand. Admittedly, however, the product does restrict movement somewhat, so the task of climbing would probably be made more difficult. Note further that the bottom zipper that allows the Game Wrap to wrap around your legs is a 2-way zipper that can be unzipped from the bottom hem all the way up to your waste. Therefore, it can be configured kinda like a cape while the hunter climbs up into the perch. Once there, he can simply slide the bottom zipper straight back down to protect his legs from the cold.

With respect to your point of having to slip anything off when you stood to shoot, be advised that the Game-Wrap has a large opening for your arms, so that a hunter could fire his weapon while wearing the product.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by jrbsr
It looks like what the indains wear in the old cowboy shows.
And I think it would be Great for hunting, as long as the cost is reasonable.
It would be great for turkey hunters also, add something to keep the ticks off.
Add scent lock technolagy to it and you would have a winner in my book.

JMHO
I'm currently thinking of setting a $49.95 price. Do you think this is reasonable?

Could you please explain the method used for hunting turkeys? I thought turkey season occurs in the spring, when it's not as cold. Why do you think the Game-Wrap would be especially suited for turkeys? Are ticks are ticks a problem in the spring?
Old 07-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Spike

The only problem I see is it looks like a Cleavland Brown uniform.It would be alot better with the Minnesota Viking logo.
Seriously I think it would be good for hunting if it came with camo and had seperation for the legs.When your walking in the woods there's alot of brush and downed limbs you have to step over.
There are many cold weather events every year where it would be nice to have.I think your on to something.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:12 PM

Hey Gapwedge, not a bad idea you have there. Nice work!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:23 PM

I'd love to make 'em in Viking purple and gold, but you sissies play in a dome.

Seriously though, thanks for the feedback. Go easy on my Brownies on opening day. It would help sales of my brown & orange Game-Wraps if Cleveland would win a few games this season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.