Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS for hunting

Old 07-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Spike

Default RE: GPS for hunting

Have you used it for hunting? If so, how helpful was it?
Old 07-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: crokit

The beauty of a compass and topomap: batteries don't go bad at the worse possible moments, electronics can't be comprimised by mother nature, forest canopy doesn't interfere, etc. Give me the right topo map and compass, and I can get to within 25 yds of any given spot within a 20,000 acre wilderness. No brag, just fact. Most importantly, IMHO it keeps certain individuals who otherwise have no clue/business being well off the beaten path, away from my hunting area.[:@]

While obviously they have their place, for some individuals, it provides a false sense of security and a recipe for disaster. So does the topo-compass route, if you don't know what your doing.
Contrary to popular belief there are plenty of compass failures.On my first ever deer hunt a friend and I flew into a remote pond in the Adirondack park.I found a great spot all torn up with big scrapes.I decided to head back to a small stream so I could mark the place to turn back in.I was going to use my map/compass to head directly to the stream.When I took the compass from my pocket the magnetic needle had come off the center pin.I wasn't sure which way the stream was relative to my position.It was overcast so I couldn't see the sun for reference either.In other words I had no idea how to get out let alone anything else.Talk about stress!It took a good while but I finally managed to get the needle back on the pin.Since then I now carry two compasses at all times.I also have a compass that no longer points to North.No idea how that happened but it did.Fortunately this time I caught it before it lead me in the wrong direction.Anyway I don't mean to start a great debate over whats best but simply point out that nothing is without faults and everyone should carry a backup just in case.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: liberty1743

It's awesome for hunting. Whenever you see something worth noting you just mark the spot with the push of a buttom. When you get home you upload the file to your computer and you can map everything out, even view the whole picture in Google maps. Your marks coupled with topo maps and you'll have a much better idea of how the wildlife is utilizing the land. I hunt a lot of Wildlife management areas, when I go to a new area I'll drive all of the drivable roads. I'll stop anywhere that looks interesting and take short walks. At home I upload the track that I made that day;I'll study what I found and where everything lays on the topo map. That leads to more detailed scouting trips and by the beginning of hunting season I'll have a much better idea of how I'm going to hunt. We also have a bunch of WMA's that are only open for scouting the day before the season opens, if you pull a permit for one of these areas you better have a way to help you do some crash scouting.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Spike

GPS is great for following blood trails, take a landmark or waypoint every few drops so if you need to go get help you get back to last drops. Also helps when going to stand before daylight. I've had minefor several years, it's a Magellan purchased at Wally-World. I don't leave it on all time, turn it on when ready for use so batteries won't run down, alway carryextras.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brenie P: Good lesson learned: always carry a back-up. I wouldn't go to the 'dacks without it. Also, there are a number of spots in the 'dacks that have SOOOO much iron ore, if your standing over such a spot, the needle will not stop spinning. It also helps to know how to make a compass out of a watch. Not digital though[:@]. Fortunately, I've never had a compass failure, then again, i I treat it like my first born.

Also important to orient your map to magnetic north, because 99 44/100% of maps are set up true north. Being off on your travels by 10-14 degrees can lead to alot of stress!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure that you compass guys will scoff at this, but I have one of those $4 Brunton pin on ball compasses. It might not be as accurate as what you guys use when your doing serious navigating, but it's always there where I can keep an eye on it. I can at least get back to the road where I parked, even if I do have a short walk to get back to the car.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

ORIGINAL: liberty1743

It's awesome for hunting. Whenever you see something worth noting you just mark the spot with the push of a buttom. When you get home you upload the file to your computer and you can map everything out, even view the whole picture in Google maps. Your marks coupled with topo maps and you'll have a much better idea of how the wildlife is utilizing the land. I hunt a lot of Wildlife management areas, when I go to a new area I'll drive all of the drivable roads. I'll stop anywhere that looks interesting and take short walks. At home I upload the track that I made that day;I'll study what I found and where everything lays on the topo map. That leads to more detailed scouting trips and by the beginning of hunting season I'll have a much better idea of how I'm going to hunt. We also have a bunch of WMA's that are only open for scouting the day before the season opens, if you pull a permit for one of these areas you better have a way to help you do some crash scouting.
What he said...I have the Magellan Sport Trak Pro
Old 07-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Spike

Excellent feedback! That's exactly what I was looking into doing. I was using Google Earth/Maps to scan some state wildlife areas. I still need to buy a GPS though.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: WM Greening

GPS is great for following blood trails, take a landmark or waypoint every few drops so if you need to go get help you get back to last drops. Also helps when going to stand before daylight. I've had minefor several years, it's a Magellan purchased at Wally-World. I don't leave it on all time, turn it on when ready for use so batteries won't run down, alway carryextras.
Great advice, thanks!
Old 07-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use DeLorme Earthmate PN-20 and I love it. It is like Google Earth in the palm of your hand. Also can down load what looks like fly overs of the area you will be hunting. As well as some Great topos. For as far as Magellan goes I wouldn't bother getting one of those, I have had some bad luck with them. I know quite a few that has Garmin and those appear to be quite relyable as well so they wouldn't be to bad of a pick as well. It is what you want for features in it that counts..

Quick Reply: GPS for hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.