Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Headlamp for Hunting

Old 12-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Headlamp for Hunting

Looking for a good headlamp to use for walking in, walking out, general camp use, tracking, reading in bed. . .You know, everything from making the early morning coffee to gutting that monster buck out after dark.

I was looking and I think the ideal one is the Princeton Tec Corona. It has 1,3,5, or8 LEDS, 3 brightness levels for# of LEDS, AA batteries. It looks like a good fit, except, I would kind of like the ability to use colored lenses and change the beam focus, I think.

Any ideas, or is this the best I cando?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Headlamp for Hunting

Keep in mind that white light kills your night vision not to mention spooks game. I've got a cheap head light that has white light, green and red. The red and green don't spook game as much and doesn't leave you seeing spots in the dark.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

I really haven't noticed that white, red or green have much impact on killing my night vision. I have noticed that too bright of a light affects me. Also, a spot light is worse on my night vision than a flood light.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wack

Keep in mind that white light kills your night vision not to mention spooks game. I've got a cheap head light that has white light, green and red. The red and green don't spook game as much and doesn't leave you seeing spots in the dark.
This is very true white light kills your night vision.

Bob
Old 12-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Try walking in the dark with a regular white light then turn it off and see how well you can see and how long it takes for your eyes to adjust to the darkness. It takes awhile for your night vision to come back. Then try the same thing with a green or red light. When you turn off the green or red light, you will be able to see much better in the dark right away. I prefer red for deer hunting simply because deer do not see the color red. That doesn't mean deer can't see movement, or can not see you, they might even be able to see the light in a different manner than we do but if I turn the red light off, I can still see fairly well. For a long time I hunted private land and the rule was when hunting with others, we never recovered dead deer til after dark. We didn't want people wandering around the woods tracking deer while others were trying to hunt. There were times we needed white light to find blood and tracks. Getting in the woods in the morning or getting out at evening we always used the red or green lights or no lights.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Spike

My 2 cents. Go to Wal Mart in the flash light section. They have these energizer head lamps and have red and white. They're very nice and priced right. Check them out.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Have you noticed any benefit to red, green or blue light? I mean is one of those colors strongly preferred over the others? Also, I can say that a 65 lumen spot light like a Surefire G2 is too bright for close, less than 20 foot work where you want to see the object clearly. Is 45 lumens ok? 25? 15? What is ideal for cooking and doing activities like gutting a deer?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckhtr77

My 2 cents. Go to Wal Mart in the flash light section. They have these energizer head lamps and have red and white. They're very nice and priced right. Check them out.
I agree, 6 led, very light weight, battery life unlimited, $14.99 your not going to find anything better. I've tried those $50. to $70. lights..don't waste your money
Old 12-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: glockman55
. . .I've tried those $50. to $70. lights..don't waste your money
What light did you try that was a waste of money? What didn't you like about it?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

I've tried the Western Rivers Mighty Max, which was very uncomfortable to wear, too heavy, and the Petzl Tactikka XP, I couldn't get it to fit tight enough and it kept slipping and the battery life was short. Both lights worked OK, but for the money, IMO not worth it. The energizer 6 led head lamp is real light and comfortable to wear, battery life is great, last me all season and at a price of $14. JMO.

Quick Reply: Headlamp for Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.