Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

High End Scopes ?

Old 04-02-2003, 01:52 PM

Default High End Scopes ?

I pretty much just bowhunt , but was given a Steyr Model L .6mm rem. rifle in excellent condition. I' d like to put a really nice high end scope on it in a 3x9x42 ! Also I definately want it to have excellent low light performance . The scopes I am looking at are the Kahles, Swarovski ,Smidt & Bender ,and Zeiss VM/V Diavari . I don' t know much about the specifics of any of these .I have heard the Kahles have just as good of optics, just not as good of adjustments and mechanics as the Swarovski.........I have know idea ! [8D]And I don' t want to pay $600 for something I won' t be happy with. I' d rather pay the $1000 + if it makes a big difference !

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 04-02-2003, 03:23 PM

Default RE: High End Scopes ?

wish i had your problem!!

I think Zeiss, swaro, S&B, then kahles are the way to go in that order.

Just my opinion...your eyes might see differently
Old 04-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Spike

308 is right on the money as I seen things 6 months ago when I made my purchase of the Zeiss VMV 2.5-10X50. The Zeiss and the Swaro were optically pretty even, but you get better eye relief with the Zeiss. These VMV scopes in 30mm offer alot in a very small light weight package. The field of view is very good and low light performance is awesome. Ive heard all the arguments made that leupold was just as good optically but this is hogwash as I have made a side by side comparison at dusk. I could still see things in the Zeiss that had disappeared in the Leupold.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you wan' t Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y, my first choice would be ZEISS...
Old 04-05-2003, 11:44 AM

Last night we were night coyote hunting,hour after dark with a heavy overcast and my partner couldn' t see reticle or field edge 200yds away.I hand him my Zeiss Conquest and he couldn' t believe the difference! Very bright and reticle still easy to see.Made a Conquest believer in just that one look,he had a Leupold Vari X scope.

woods
Old 04-05-2003, 08:51 PM

CBM SC,

Last summer I took a couple of days and traveled from Medford to Portland, OR checking in every sporting store which sold scopes. One handled a few expensive brands. I compared them side by side on 9X after adjusting each ocular lens for my vission. Finally I settled on the Sawarski. The counter man told me he had one more for me to check. He didn' t want me to see the brand.

After adjusting the ocular lens, I looked at the same line on a roof about three blocks away. Instantly, I mean instantly, it was brighter and clearer. I looked at the brand and saw it was a Leupold. It was a 2 1/2 - 10X. I turned the power ring up to 10X and could see the " line" was an extension cord. Just one more X above the excelent scopes and I could identify the detail! I would like to see one with that quality in a 5 - 20X.

I asked the fellow how much. He told me it is a Leupold LPS and sells for $1040. Is that high end enough for you?
Old 04-06-2003, 06:57 AM

The LPS Leupold can be had for $750-799 if you shop around.My experience has been they directly compare to a Zeiss Conquest for brightness,clarity and features although a bit heavier.The four posts I' ve seen on forums where they have compared both, the Conquest won 3 of the 4 comparisons.Check them both with your own eyes and decide for yourself,Conquest is $300 less money.Both have euro focus,constant eye relief,great lenses and coatings,and excellant finishes along with a transferable warranty.See what you think.

woods
Old 04-06-2003, 07:22 AM

I put a Swarovski scope on my .300 Weatherby a few years ago, and really like it. I should for what it cost me (LOL). Last year, I was looking at scopes to put on a new rifle and compared the Zeiss with the same type Swarovski and was amazed. I think the Zeiss is better and costs a whole lot less.

Here is a test I did when I bought the scopes. I took them outside and focused them on a sign at a considerable distance. The Zeiss enabled me to read the finest print on the sign. The Swarovski also did, but it just was not as clear. I bought the Zeiss.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:09 AM

Thanks for all the input !!

I' ve heard a lot of good things about the Zeiss VM/V . I may just go with it !
Old 04-07-2003, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

Also,

If you have a chance to compare the scopes, a daytime or in-store lighting comparison means very little. If you can' t compare them at shooting hours-first or last 1/2 hour of daylight and beyond, you havn' t made an honest comparison.

A $100 Simmons looks pretty good at 12:00 noon a tree 200 yards outside the store......but is it the best choice.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan

Quick Reply: High End Scopes ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.