Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

under armor- worth the money?

Old 10-29-2008, 06:45 AM

Default under armor- worth the money?

I was wondering if the under armor cold gear is really all it is cracked up to be? I live and hunt in northern Pennsylvania and I've heard both positive and not so positive responses from my hunting buddies. I have no problem shelling out the dough if it really works, but I wanted to hear more reviews before I do. Also, which would be a better choice,"compression" or "loose" for someone who walks 60% of the day and sits the rest. Thanksfor looking!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: under armor- worth the money?

Plan and simple. IT WORKS. Its way better then basic thermals. Also, because it fits tighter on your skin it doesnt cause you to be as bulky in the woods. All my friends and family wear it when we hunt and in the dead of winter as long johns. Also, i know a ton of guides who use and swear by it as well. The cold gear is the way to go, and there is a difference between UA cold gear and the cheap stuff. Get the UA cold gear
Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Bought a set of Cold Gear last year snd overall I liked them. Not as warm asfleece lined scent lok baselayers but still good.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

You will not find a better wicking material than Under Armor (Polypropelene) We use it here in the Coast Guard as part of a 3 layer system. polypropelene, then a fleece body suit followed up by a dry suit. I can jump in 30 degree water and stay nice and warm for hours. Of course you wont be wearing a dry suit but a good set of winter hunting overalls or bibs/parka will do nicely. Dont forget 90 percent of your heat is lost out of your (unprotected) head and grion/armpits. Buy a good hat to wear and you should be all set.

You can get fleece body suits thru mustang survival or polar tec

Hope this helps
Mack
Old 11-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Read the label, it's spandex, same as the Danskins™ worn by women in aerobics classes everywhere at a much higher price.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

No, IMO
Old 11-01-2008, 08:30 PM

I'm glad someone asked this question. In my opinion and I think I've tried it all. I can't stand my Under Armour and I wish I never would have bought it, in fact, so much, that I am selling mine on Craigslist because it doesn't keep me warm at all. I am 100% certain that a good pair of fleecewill save you probably $40 bucks and keep you just as warm and most likely warmer. In fact i looked at Dunhams today and a good pair of merino woolthermal unders top and bottom $30. Save yourself the seventy and ditch the under armour.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The regular thin UA won't keep you very warm. The thicker UA will definitely keep you warm though. I use this as a base layer and have a wool suit on over that and it's all I need. Best thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

I love the stuff, use it for hunting and working. I have tried some of the cheaper versions and I personally don't like them as much. I would get the compression style if you are going to buy some but get one size larger than what you normally wear, it makes the biggest difference. I always use the cold gear leggings and it it gets really cold will put on a pair of fleece wading pants, all this under a pair of Cabelas Microtex Insulated pants. The UA allows me to add a pair of fleece pants without getting to bulky.

The heat gear works great for the early season, not only keeps you cooler but helps with keeping the ticks/chiggers off you too.

Just my opinion though.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Spike

I can swear by UA Cold Gear as a base layer. I am from Northern Minnesota and it gets cold up here for late season predator hunting. After the UA base layer i put two other layers on consisting of, a good fleece layer fallowed by a thermo insulated snow camo coveralls. This setup keeps me warm, even when the temperature drops well below freezing.

Quick Reply: under armor- worth the money?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.