Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Secret to Keeping Warm

Old 10-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Secret to Keeping Warm

I leave my jacket and insulatedcoveralls open for the cold air to hit me while I walk so I don't get a sweat. When I get to my stand though I zip up quick before the body heat I built up walking goes away. The layers hold that heat for hours while sitting there and I am usually really comfortable.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

Cheese and Rice! I can't believe I never thought of using a sleeping bag. How hard is it to get into a sleeping bag in a climber?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

My ground blind can get pretty cold. I now pack in almost all my clothes in my pack/strapped to it. I hike in with nothing but a t-shirt and pants/boots. Once I get to near my stand I stop and wait 10 minutes to cool off before I make the final uphill hike to my spot. Then I try to go slow to the spot to cool off. Once I'm in my spot and the coast is clear I'll put my layers on and bundle up for the long wait. Most days it's about 50" or less in my stand, not that cold but it's right near freezing when I hike in every morning so that 50 degrees is a long time coming during the day. Handwarmers help a lot, warm coffee helps during the chilly sunrise plus keeps you awake. Other than that dress in layers and use wool/polypropolene clothes, not cotton. And make sure you have a good wind block.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Summit Viper, The bag is "bungeed" to it for the hike in (rolled up pretty tight)
After setting the stand up on the tree, I stuff the bag into the frame of the base of the climber.
After I am setteled in and cooled off, I reach down and un roll the bag, and put it in a "pile" on the platform and just step into it and work it up to my arm pits and sit down, I was amazed how easy it was the 1st time.
When I stand up, it just kinda drops down to about My waste.

Slack
Old 10-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

I bungee my heavy jacket/coat to my tree stand and take a cooling off break before putting it on and getting up the tree. I'll put a couple of hand warmers in my muff. This year I'll be trying new boots. My feet usually freeze fast. I bought Cabelas "Inferno 2000" boots. I've read great reviews about them.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

try one of those Walgreens heated back pads. They are for lower back pain. They come unscented. I saw this in field and stream. I am going to try it this year.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

The more money I spend on better hunting clothes the warmer I become. Including the more expensive moisture wicking first layer. Then one or two camo T-shirts. Being a gimp, I fought cold feet for years. Recently bought tall, heavy thinsulate rubber boots with enough room for one moisture wicking pair of socks and very heavy wool socks. Wife and I last weekend were sitting on location in 24 degree snowy beauty and didn't get cold at all. At my age, I just don't do cold anymore.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Three words - Heater Body Suit. Carry it in while wearing whatever you need to to keep warm while being active, climb into your stand, but the suit on, and enjoy toasty comfort. The only bad thing about it is that sometimes when I think I hear a deer, I don't unzip immediately since it is so nice and warm!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Slackdaddy

Just posted this in "Deer hunting"

I have battled cold feet for 15 years of deer hunting.
I had rubber boots with 3 layers of socks,
I had "OK" insulated hunting boots,
I had batt socks,
I had "hot hands" pocket socks.

Nothing really worked when sitting in a stand on a 20 deg morning,
Till I picked up a $10 kids camo sleeping bag at D!(k's.
Now I wear any $59 hunting boot, and once I am in my stand I step into the sleeping bag, drop 2 hot hands in, and sit down.
The sleeping bag comes up to My arm pits, so I can put my hands in if needed.

Now I do not get into my cover-alls till after the climber is on the tree and I am cooled off from the walk in,
This is like a "Poor mans heater body suit" and it REALLY works, and cost $10, not $300

Slack
i use same thing,sleeping bag but i sit against a pine tree on ground.

i pull bag up to my arm pits also.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 PM

OK, my feet use to STAY cold in the duck blind and deer stand. That is always the first thing that gets cold on me and everything else is usually soon to follow. However, I have found a secret. Before you go into the woods or timber or wherever else you are going, take some spray on anti-persperant (Right guard, ect.) and sprayit on your feet, under your arms, on your arms, or anywhere else sweating is a problem. If you are deer hunting you want to find some unscented spray anti-persperant. You will not believe the difference it will make when you don't sweat and if you use anti-persperant you don't have to be cold walking in or worry about getting hot and sweaty only to turn around and get cold. Try it, I PROMISE it works.

Quick Reply: Secret to Keeping Warm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.